Random breath testing

S

SteelBlue05

What do you think of the Governments proposal to introduce random breath tests?

I think its a good idea but I have a concern for the way it will be operated. A lot of people, espiecially over holiday periods go out drinking and then drive into work the next morning and are still over the limit because of the amount of alcohol in their system but its questionable if this hinders their ability to drive carefully, I mean you can be silghtly over the limit the next morning but not feel in any way drunk.

I think the Gardai will target these drivers rather than go out on the quiet country roads at 2am to get the drivers who are really drink driving and where most of the accidents happen. It will be just like the speed checks on the 50kmp zones. It will be another money spinner and we'll see the stats for the amount of people caught drink driving but its really not being affective.

What do you think?

I think it would be a gross invasion of privacy. If I am driving on a long journey cross-country late at night and stone-cold sober, I don't see why or how a Garda should be allowed to detain me along the roadside in order to take a breath sample.

Neither do I want to be delayed on my way to work in the morning in order to be breathalysed where it is blatantly obvious that I, and the drivers in front of me, are stone cold sober.

There are serious civil liberties implications for citizens in this proposal. Imagine how the rogue Gardai in Donegal would have used such powers. There are also obvious personal safety implications, especially for women, given that paramilitiaries and other gangsters have sometimes passed themselves off as Gardai at otherwise genuine-looking checkpoints in the past.

If a driver has drink taken (in small or large amounts) this will be very obvious to any Garda that stops them. A Garda is currently allowed to request a breath sample on "reasonable suspicion" of drink-driving. This is quite sufficient in my opinion.

I am with you there Ubiqiutous.Total invasion of privacy.
This country is each day becoming more of a policed state.
Bertie seemed to suggest that the increase in deaths on the roads is all down to drink driving.Bertie you are wrong.Penalty points did not reduce the deaths so why would this be any different.
Does anybody think our roads have any thing to do with it?
We have pathetic roads (apart from the major cities) that are badly lit and just downright dangerous to drive on even within the speed limit.
The election campaign is in full swing and this is just another offering of dribble from our overpaid and underworked dail deputies.
The penalty points (tax system) is another failed disaster especially when you see gardai in there cars on the mobile and giving us lectures for doing same.
I suppose if they want to breath test you by the roadside there will be a charge for it as well!!!!

People continue to drink and drive because they don't think they are going to get caught. Anything that reduces the number of people doing it is to be welcomed as far as I'm concerned. I'm not usually one for the nanny state but people have to understand that drink-driving is socially and morally unacceptable.

gearoidmm said:
People continue to drink and drive because they don't think they are going to get caught. Anything that reduces the number of people doing it is to be welcomed as far as I'm concerned. I'm not usually one for the nanny state but people have to understand that drink-driving is socially and morally unacceptable.

I dont condone drink driving but this wont work!!!
I can imagine a barrister tearing this apart in court.
Remember the Gardai dont want to do this either.

D

For years the guards have been catching people the morning after in west limerick on their way to work on Saturday morning going to a particular factory. The absence of a law on random breath testing never stopped them from doing this before.

why is it an invasion of privacy? We are already getting stopped for tax\insurance checks, speed checks and the like. Do people feel these are also an invasion of privacy?

It does seem that the Gardai already have the power to stop people if they "form the opinion" that they are drink driving. The real problem is that the Gardai are not enfocing the existing laws.

gearoidmm said:
For years the guards have been catching people the morning after in west limerick on their way to work on Saturday morning going to a particular factory. The absence of a law on random breath testing never stopped them from doing this before.

That sound suspicious to me.Why are they targeting that particular group of workers?
I know of a garda who loves 'doing' people for whatever offence he can.Same guy will have 5 pints and drive home a distance of 15 miles.But when he will arrive a mobile testing area he will be waved on and the poor sucker with one pint on board will s..t himself.

It's a while since I lived there but at the time it was a major employer for the whole area and was open 24/7. People would go out Friday night and drive 20 miles to work on the Saturday morning at 7.30am. It was like shooting fish in a barrel.

If people feel that random breath testing is not a good idea, I would be interested to hear how they suggest drink drivers are caught/discouraged from drinking and drving?

I have often woken up after a night out and frequently would be in no state to drive. Regardless of when you are over the limit, be it when you are drinking, or the next day, you are still over the limit and should not be driving.

Drink driving is not the only cause of road deaths, no arguments there. But it is a major cause. There are billons being spent on upgrading roads, penalty points have been introduced (albeit with limited operation), and so the other causes are being tackled. Many of the country roads in Ireland are dangerous, but people should moderate their speed accordingly.

>>The real problem is that the Gardai are not enfocing the existing laws.<<

Yeah, I'm not sure that we need an extra law. It depends on legal technicalities etc things standing up in court etc which I'm not an expert on.

Diddles
>>Bertie seemed to suggest that the increase in deaths on the roads is all down to drink driving.Bertie you are wrong.Penalty points did not reduce the deaths so why would this be any different.<<

The penalty points system is not being enforced. If it was I'm sure it would make a difference to drink driving and also speeding.

>>Does anybody think our roads have any thing to do with it? We have pathetic roads (apart from the major cities) that are badly lit and just downright dangerous to drive on even within the speed limit.<<

In general, I don't agree. People should drive to suit the conditions and if it seems dangerous, they should drive a bit slower and pay attention. They don't have to drive at the max speed limit all the time. It's a guideline.

Diddles, do you think speeding and drink driving have anything to do with the deaths on the roads?

If there was a €20,000 fine and a min 10 years off the road I think people would get the message.

D

I'm in favour of random testing. The more drunk drivers taken off the road, the better.
Just because someone feels fit to drive doesn't mean that they are. The fact that you drank the vast quantities the night before doesn't make you any more sober. If the alchohol is in your system, you're unfit to drive.

Diddles, do you think speeding and drink driving have anything to do with the deaths on the roads?

AnnR,
Of course these have contributed to death on the roads.I would put speeding at no 1 in that list but I think DD is not high up there.
My List would be:
1 Speeding.
2 Dangerous driving(ie crazy overtaking moves I see them everyday).
3 The quality of the roads outside the major cities.
4 drivers showing off ( we all did it)Guys and girls in souped up starlets with exausts bigger than a formula 1 car doing crazy speeds.Only problem with those cars is they dont have the bhp to stop in an emergency situation.
5 DD
6 Drivers who tip along at 30 km and infuriate everybody behind them until someone losses his/her cool and causes an accident while overtaking etc.

If there was a €20,000 fine and a min 10 years off the road I think people would get the message.

The publicans wouldn't be too happy with that! - and we all know how powerful they are.

How about providing some alternative means of transport?

Seagull said:
I'm in favour of random testing. The more drunk drivers taken off the road, the better.
Just because someone feels fit to drive doesn't mean that they are. .... If the alchohol is in your system, you're unfit to drive.
Fully agree.

Seagull said:
Just because someone feels fit to drive doesn't mean that they are. The fact that you drank the vast quantities the night before doesn't make you any more sober. If the alchohol is in your system, you're unfit to drive.

Me three!!!! I fully support the proposal.

Why is this an infringment on my civil rights more than the ignorant guards who have checkpoints around Poppintree Industrial estate at least 3 times a week. Stopping everyone. Taking details of where you've been, where you're going, who's car you're driving, and what's in the boot? That's all apart from the other two guards using flashlights looking to see what's in the back of your car at the same time. Where are my civil rights there???

And even apart from the late at night / early morning drink driving thing, even a single drink can be deadly at times, if you take into account road conditions, weather conditions, other traffic, etc..

Martin Cullen was on the radio earlier stating that it possibly be unlawful to have random checkpoints 24/7

He asid they are looking at highlighting the particular times that drink driving is an issue (possibly late at night on weekends) and bringing in the legislation to be able to perform the random tests then

Can't see how anyone could have a problem, if that was the case
If there is, I would be genuinly interested in hearing it

stuart@buyingtolet.ie

While I detest drink driving and would support measures to reduce it, I would not support measures at all costs. I also feel this is a breach of civil liberties. A guard should have a good reason to stop and question any member of the public. I don' t like the flood gates argument, but where does it stop? Ones car is a personal space, not the same as but akin to ones home. Should the guards have the right to randomly check our homes to prevent murder, or drug sales?

Vanilla said:
Should the guards have the right to randomly check our homes to prevent murder, or drug sales?

Its hardly a comparative example.

Back