ran into the back of 06 car what to do next

coleen

A friend ran into the back of a 06 car this morning at traffic lights. He did damage to the bumper at the very least. He gave the person his insurance details and was told that they would be reporting it to the gaurds. He is a full driver with just one years driving experience and is 24. Should he let it go on his insurance or should he try and cover the cost himself, How much will his insurance rise because of this claim. Is there any other things he should be doing?. I feel this may cost a few thousand so it may not be feasible to cover cost himself what is the max amount he should consider paying instead of letting it go on insurance? Does he need to contact Gardai also. thanks in advance for replies

He should ring the guards himself and make sure it was reported. Other than that he doesnt need to make a statement to the guards.

He should ring his broker and make an enquiry about how much his premium would increase in the event of a claim. The accident should also be reported to his insurance company but it is my understanding that the premium will not increase unless a claim is actually made- he should check this. The reason for reporting is in case there is a claim for personal injury down the line as well as material loss.

Other than that I suppose he just has to wait for the damages estimate and then make a decision on whether it is worth it to claim. If he does decide to pay out of his own pocket he should have the third party sign something that states that the payment is made in 'full and final settlement of all claims'.

Ur friend should report to his broker / insurance company as obviously was was at fault, however just because it was reported doesnt automatically mean a claim. He can still pay the repair himself but it is important that he advises insurers as the other party could come back with personal injury claim in time. Hopefully just damage tho.

Even if he has no choice but to let his insurers deal with the claim if the repair bill is high and he wins the lotto on Fri Nite he can (in some cases) reimburse the insurance company to have the claim struck off his record.

thanks for the advise, it works out that the repair bill is to be 4k so alot more than he thought so he is going to let it off to the insurance.