RAM question

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiskey1

I have just bought a sony vaio laptop, ram=3GB, processor=intel i3 core.

The ram monitor is running very fast all the time at approx 45-52%. I might have only 2 webpages open and a 2 page word document. The fan is very noisy.

Any ideas what might be causing this? My brother's vaio has a 2GB ram and an AMD athlon processor and the ram monitor only runs at about 30%. It is also much quiter than my laptop when the ram monitors show the same figure.

Ram won't generate heat like your processor will, make sure you're not blocking any vents on the machine, like a book laying too close to the laptop, or using it on a cushion on your lap, etc. The majority of modern laptops or PC's for that matter have variable speed fans installed, if it's getting too hot, the fan speeds up. Noise is a function of fan blade design and bearings used. so that really comes down to the manufacturer. My desktop has 6Gb of ram and I'm usually hovering around 40-45% RAM usage on windows seven with nothing open, 5-6 system bar items running. CPU usage idle sits at 1-2%

Laptop is well ventilated all round. Is the i3 processor not as good as the amd athlon processor then? And is this why the fan is working overtime to keep it cooled down? Should I have gone for an i5 processor to at least match the amd athlon?

My brothers vaio with amd athlon is very quite when compared to mine.

I did a bit of reading, and generally Vaio's are supposed to be quiet, I suspect that the thermister that detects overheating could be faulty, causing the fan to run full blast.

take it in for service.

Please edit the title of your thread to make it more meaningful.
Leo

I contacted Sony, they will have a look at the laptop. I will post back here to let you how I got on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back