RAM compatability (hardware)

Mystic Oil

I'm hopelessly out of touch with basic PC hardware these days. Is there a PC hardware tech reading that can help me with this one?

A friend of mine has a Dell Dimension 1100 which is painfully slow with 512Mb of RAM running XP. I told him to buy more memory, and recommended Crucial. He ran the "Crucial Memory Advisor" tool and it tells him that he needs one of these:

[broken link removed]

2 modules, each 1 Gb DDR PC3200 • CL=3 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR400 • 2.6V • 128Meg x 64 •

I have two sets of new, unused, Crucial 2Gb memory kits which are surplus to my requirements:

[broken link removed]

2 modules, each 1Gb DDR2 PC2-5300 • CL=5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-667 • 1.8V • 128Meg x 64 •

or

[broken link removed]

2 modules, each 1Gb DDR2 PC2-6400 • CL=6 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-800 • 1.8V • 128Meg x 64 •

The modules that I have are of a higher spec than he needs, but will they work OK? Is the specified voltage a minimum or an upper limit? I'd like to save him some money by sending him the memory, but don't want to cause mayhem if they're not compatible (he's a long way from here and isn't particularly technically savvy).

I think the memory is of a different size. The recommend one is 184 pin while yours is 240 pin.

Don't think it will physically fit.

Thanks, Olympian.

How did you know that? I don't see it on the modules specs on the Crucial website.

If you follow the links to the more detailed specs, you can see where it says
Package: 184-pin dimm.
See here and scroll down for more detailed info
[broken link removed]

These boys will tell you what memory goes into your machine, and I think they will refund if it does not work, free postage too

Thank you, BlueSpud

I needed a memory upgrade and a hard disk upgrade for my own laptop, so I gave MemoryC a spin, based on your recommendation. Their prices are good, ordered on a Sunday - delivered on Wednesday morning (no delivery charges). I had already tried Komplett and Dabs, but neither had the memory and the hard disk in stock.

That machine needs 333- and 400-MHz DDR SDRAM

What you have won't work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_Dimension#Dell_Dimension_1xxx_series

Dimension 1100? time for a new computer......

+1

The problem AV and Websites are now more demanding. You need a late P4 or much better early dual core to have a usable machine. You can pick these up for 50~100. That old Dimension 1100 has really slow old ram, and a slow hard drive and probably USB 1.0. Its pointless putting ram into it. I

Thats my 2cents.

While your at it, changing to a lighter AV like MSE will help a bit.

Back