Raising the roof

WhatsGoingOn

Hi,

I am considering doing an attic conversion on my house ( a bungalow). However I think I would get a lot more space if I raised my roof by a couple of feet. Is this realistic? How expensive would this be? I just need a rough figure. The house is a 1400sq ft 3 bed bungalow.

Thanks.

You would indeed get more space, but it would involve basically taking the entire roof off the house, building on several more feet to the existing walls and then putting a new roof on.

This will significantly, substantially alter the appearance of your house and you may well not get planning permission for this - in addition to it costing €€€€s. Depends how much extra space you want. Raising the roof like that would enable you to convert more of your attic space because it will increase the useable room (i.e. with sufficient headroom), but you would need to balance how much this'll cost against the amount of extra room you want.

Is there 7.5ft of clearance at the highest point of the roof? That would be enough for a centrally placed room. You could get wide dormer windows installed to increase headroom - planning permission will probably be needed for that.

Another popular solution is to create a full-height room with a flat roof to one side of the roof - usually the part that can't be seen from the road.

Hi,

I am considering doing an attic conversion on my house ( a bungalow). However I think I would get a lot more space if I raised my roof by a couple of feet. Is this realistic? How expensive would this be? I just need a rough figure. The house is a 1400sq ft 3 bed bungalow.

Thanks.

I've seen this done... with an end of terrace premises!
A pub extended out the back to accomodate a restaurant. Builders' miscalcuated but didn't realise 'til roofing the extension. Fixed it by raising the original roof by about 18 inches.

Thanks. I hope to get 2 extra bedrooms in the attic conversion, so a friend mentioned to me that I could get a lot of extra space if I raised the roof. If it is too expensive, I'll look into alternative options, possibly dormer windows like Paulone mentions.

Back