Rads going off on their own

sadie

In our house a couple of the rads will heat up fine when the heat first comes on, then will go off after about an hour and might stay off for a couple of hours even when turned up to high. They might come on again at some stage and then go off again. Is this related to the temp control, the thermostat is set to 25 degrees. The boiler temp goes up and down between 53 and 70 c approx depending (gas), and there is one timer for the boiler and one for the rads which are synronised manually so they are on at the same times. One of the ones that keeps going off is in the sitting room which is the problem. There are 3 that go off the others will be boiling hot more or less constantly. Would increasing the temp on the thermostat fix it?

Sadie,
We are having similar problems...firstly ours started doing what your is i.e cutting out. Then the timer function stopped working and we had to turn on and off the heating manually. Then the whole thing stopped working. After some research, my bf found some info that indicated that the 'PCB' (a printed circuit board or something :confused:) was in need of replacement. We actually bought this on EBAY UK very cheaply compared to prices here, unfortunately for us this hasn't rectified our prob but perhaps you should look into it. If I were you, however, I would just get a plumber/service tech whatever, out to it ASAP and just let them fix it once and for all............

Tried turning up the therostat on wall to 27 degrees. Tried turning off all the other rads but the offending ones still don't heat up again. It's not a cut out problem, it's more a temperature, timing problem...

Have you tried bleeding the radiators for air in the first instance ?

It's not air I don't think as the rads initially (when the heat first goes on) heat up fully the whole way up and stay on for about an hour, then these 2 or 3 go off and stay off or become just lukewarm occasionally. There's no vent on them in the usual place anyway that I can locate...

Have you got thermostatic rad valves on your radiators. They are the large white knobs with 1 to 5, a black dot and a clear dot on the rads. TRVs can stick so remove the head and squirt a bit of wd40 on the pin you will see inside.

Is there an issue with the temp. in the living room? Is it too cold? Where is the thermostat on the wall you are talking about?

My gut feeling is that you have TRVs on the rads which the problem.

Yes there is TRV clearly written on the radiator knobs, and the black and clear dot as you describe. The rad in sitting room and kids bedroom goes off after about an hour of being hot even when they turned to full 'on' the black dot. The thermostat is on the wall of the hall (a bungalow) just on it's own. So can we override the TRV thing to get them to stay on, as would seem from what you say they are switching off once they reach a certain temp? Not sure what you mean about the pin being stuck, surely it wouldn't come on at all if it was stuck...

there is a knurled nut just below the rotary part of the TRV. Loosen that off and then TRV should come off. You can check teh pin then

Thanks. Got some more info here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055011345 and looks like in the three faulty ones, the pin is not freely going up and down, it is either stuck up or stuck down. Does anyone know does the pin have to be very loose. Seems to be looser in some of them than others, takes some pressure to push it up. However, we have switched the faulty ones with working ones on the radiators that we don't use. Testing it at the moment.

Be carefull not to pull pin out of gland

As mercman said Did you ever consider asking a competent plumber to look at it

Sealed systems
In my opinion you should not vent up radiators until you have ensured that the expansion vessel is functiong properly. A little air / gas in radiators may have taken over the vessel function when it is neglected and flooded.

Swopping over the working TRV knobs with the ones that don't work so well has worked and has solved the problem, the offending rads stayed on all evening and we can control the heat out of them. THANKS TO ALL FOR THE HELP.

Back