Radon Barrier

Mr Tayto

Hi

Does anyone have an estimated price for the supply of a radon barrier & tape, also what sizes does it come in.

Thanks in advance

Mr Tayto

Hi, we just got some there and it is €98 a roll which is 100 metres I think, We got 3 rolls and tape and it came to €360ish but we are after laying it thinking we had 80 or so metres to spare but we have ran short 3/4 way through so have to get another roll. I think our man is a bit wasteful though!

Abbica, Im not sure is it the Radon membrane as opposed to Radon barrier that you have installed!

1600 Gauge Radon barrier 4X25M roll €215.92
Tape 2 sided 30m roll €14.05
Sump €18.17
Link €12.48
Top Hat €7.25

Thats what we pay for them at work at the moment, so that does include a builders discount.

Im no expert and only heard this second hand myself so dont quote me ;) but the Radon membrane is for low level areas of radon the membrane is for the areas higher effected and that need more protection!

As i say im no expert, so if anybody could confirm! I just know we cant get Radon Barrier for that price.

No jollyman, you are slightly off. A Damp Proof Membrane is required in all dwellings... a Radon Barrier is required in areas prone to high radon levels.

The Damp Proof Membrane is usually 1200 gauge.
The Radon Membrane is usually measured in μm rather than in 'gauge'.... ie 300μm or 400 μm... these are usually 'heshined' to prevent tearing and induce strength.

So if something is described as a 'radon membrane' or 'radon barrier' it should be essentially the same thing.... while the alternative is DPM or damp proof membrane.

Syd,

That probably explains it better, but there still seems to be a significant price variation there.

Is radon barrier compulsory, or can you test for radon before building the house? Or contact Radon Ireland?

theres a map of ireland split up into 10km grids.. these grids show risk levels for radon, (i have an A1 print that i consult).. i assume its available on the radon ireland website.. its also printed in HOMEBOND manuals. If the dwelling is located in a grid where the level of radon risk is greater than 10% then it needs a radon barrier automatically.

Obviously the safest practise is to measure the radon levels on site, but thats not available to everyone.

Some advice : If you putting down the thicker (reddish/brown) radon barrier, buy the corners also. This is the hardest part. Fit the corners, do the edges and then tape main sheets to these. Otherwse it is a pain.

Hi,
As per Jollyman, there are 2 radon barriers you can buy.

there is a state of the art roll whick is red in colour and it has nylon thread through it to prevent tears. This comes in a roll approx 4 M X 25 (covers approx 1000 sq feet). I think I payed approx 300 euro for a roll inc vat. However there is another type whick is yellow in colour, with no nylon thread for a fraction of the price. This is easily torn and will not cope with any traffic at all.
Do not confuse these radon Membranes with damp proof membrane. Damp proof membrane will only stop damp but not Radon.

Out of this I have a question for some of you that may have been down this road.

I have my sub floor in and house built to first floot. I put in Radon barrier and 150 mm of concrete. After roof and windows go in I will then put down DPM in each room and run it up the wall about 200mm (cut after), then 50 mm of Kingspan and pin my underfloor heating to it, and pour a 75 mm screed to finish it.
My question is the 150mm of concrete between is between the radon layer and the DPM. If this 150mm is damp etc etc, the water will evapourate and then condense again at the DPM level as it cannot escape. Is this an issue??? I know if I let the slab dry after putting on the roof this should not be an issue. Just wondering I am doing this correctly.

Than for your help on this.

hayabusa,

the radon membrane will act as a damp proof membrane so you do not need a second dpm layer. I would be a bad detail to include a second dpm over the concrete slab.

Back