Radiators won't heat up fully

tinal

Hi All
Im hoping someone out there can help me heat up my house!! My heat has been on now for over 4 hours (oil) but only the tops of the rads are heating up. I have bled the radiators and there is no air in them, as soon as I turn the key the water comes out. This has been the situation for the last few weeks and the house is very cold despite the heat being on for hours on end..

Any solutions would be much appreciated

t

Maybe the system needs to be flushed out. Did the problem start recently or has the problem increased over time?

If you are fairly confident with plumbing, why not valve off one of the rads and take it off so that you can then check by running a hose through it to see if there is any build up of dirt in the bottom.
Collins DIY book page 423 describes how to remove Rads.

Hi Bill

Thanks for replying - it is a problem that has built up over time but just seems to have gotten a lot worse recently. Unfortunately, my plumbing skills end at being able to bled the radiators... I think it sounds like a job for a plumber..the problem now is get one before Xmas!!

t

Many heating systems are installed without the essential balancing valve on the primary return from the hot water cylinder.

Unfortunately usually gets fitted after living with lousy ciculation for years.

Last edited: