Radiators not heating up downstairs! Galway City

K

kierank

Hi,

I just moved in to my house, its about 4 yrs old. The gas heating had been disconnected for ages due to last tenants.
Anyway, i got it all started up again. There are 3 radiators on the groumd floor, 1 isn't working at all, there other two are bearly lukewarm. The house is a 3 story, all of the radiators on the other 2 floors are fine...

Can anyone help?
Or does anyone know a good plumber in the Galway city area that wont rip me off? Im a broke FTB! (Thanks in Advance)

Sounds like that the rads are air locked. Whilst the heating is on there is an air bleeding on one side of the rad on top. Use a screw driver and losen the screw a small bit and you will hear the air escape. When water starts to come out tighten up the screw again.

Thanks, Yeah i bled them. I also turned off all the rads up stairs and then the ones downstairs started to heat up. I left the heating on full blast for an hour and they worked perfectly. I then opened up 2 of the rads upstairs and as soon as i did the rads downstairs (one in particular) started to loose heat...
Advice anyone? Thanks ;-)

Hi,
had a similar problem and it turned out that there was a calcium build up inthe pipes & boiler as the water used was ground water. As far as I remember, Galway city's water comes dfrom a lake/reservoir so that shouldnt be a problem.

Does your attic have 2 tanks? - apparently it should have a small tank which is used exclusively for heating purposes, rather than all needs been serviced by th 1 tank - this may have a bearing (found out that this was the case in the house where Im living - builders cutting corners !).

I dont think its necessary to have two tanks - i think if is a pressurised system - (direct from mains) one tank in attic is ok !

Anyway a friend of mine had similar problem - on natural gas
Plumber installed new pump - no joy!.
... yer system needs flushing,rads need cleaning, re-balancing etc.... spent a day removing all rads and cleaning etc. ....still didnt work
Then plumber explained how pipes were too narrow ....." but the heating worked fine for the past 8 years ?" ....
cut a long story short, a week later - my mate was painting the kitchen and heard a clicking noise from gas boiler...called the plumber and a thermostat was knocking off sooner that it should ...some how getting the signal that all rads were hot - changed thermostat and all lived happily ever after