Radiator not working

gebbel

Folks I've read the threads on how to bleed a radiator, and successfully carried this out. Problem is the radiator is still cold as ice when the heating is on. Is there anything else that can be done before I call out a professional?

I'm no expert but I had problem with my gas boiler and got it working with the help of a neighbour.

So if you have a GAS boiler check the press display on the boiler unit

It need to be at least one, no press equals no heat

Did it get progressively worse or is this sudden?

A few likely culprits (assuming there have been no changes in your heating system generally)

Sludge build up - can be successfully remedied but sometimes not - worst case new rad. Easy but messy job: drain system, turn off water and flush out with power hose.

Problem with stuck thermostat or valve - possible plumber job if you're not confident but not a big expensive job.

You said you bled the air, did you bleed until you got water? Did you add water from the supply source to displace the volume of air/water that you let escape. Finally, when you open the bleeder do you get water under pressure. If not, start over. Add water (check the pressure in the system - no gage, might be time to add one for better monitoring and control) start the bleeding process all over, keep adding water as necessary, a warm radiator will result.

switch all the rest off to force flow through the cold rad. that should shift any blockages/air that is trapped. you might need to balance them all afterwards to make sure the flow is evenly distributed across all the rads

You said you bled the air, did you bleed until you got water?

Yes

Did you add water from the supply source to displace the volume of air/water that you let escape.

No, the quantity of water that came out was only a trickle.

Finally, when you open the bleeder do you get water under pressure.

The water squirted out, if that's what you mean?

I think you are saying that the "water that came our was only a trickle, but it squirted out". This could be OK, and then it could be the problem. Place a flat bowl or something to catch the water so you are not concerned about ruining the floor or carpet. Now reopen the petcock. The water should come out under pressure - 15 to 20 PSI, and it should come out continuously. If the furnace is running, it will turn to hot. If you are getting hot water but the radiator is not warming up then the water is not flowing through the radiator. Go into the next room, or the next radiator and bleed it. You should actually start at the first radiator, bleed it, then move to the next, etc. Eventually you will get rid of all the air. Remember to keep supplying more water - keep the pressure up. If your "trickle-squirt" keeps up you could have a blocked line, but my bet is you do not have enough water in the system, under pressure. Keep the pressure up and the trickle squirt will turn into a steady stream. Then move downstream to the next radiator.