Radiator Bleed-Screw Repair / Replacement

K

Kieranb

I'm working on an old house where the radiators are about 20 years old and have found 3 with the bleed-screws "square tops" sheared-off.
Is there anything on the market that could be fitted to the outside top of the rad. to bleed the air out without having to remove the rad, drill and tap a new hole and fit a new bleed screw? Also, maybe save the expense of buying new rads. if the drill/tap method is unsuccessful.
Any help appreciated.

A cheap fix is to drill a small hole in the top of the rad a screw in a self tapping pan head screw with some PTFE tape wrapped around the threads. It's not a very pretty solution but it does work.

Thanks Carpenter,
that will get me out of trouble but as you said might not look the best. Don't suppose you know of a product that could be tapped in that has the bleed screw in it for bleeding again later if needed?

Hi, I'm wondering if you could use a tool called and easy-out to remove the old bleeder and then fit a new one. Basically you drill a hole in the middle and insert this device which jams in to the hole as you atempt to loosen the nut. Just google Easy-out stud extractor and you'll see what I mean. They're available from any good tools supplier.

Rgds
Fran

No, don't know of any proprietary product (although Axminster may have something). Thing is the self tapper does work and all you need do is loosen it a little if you need to bleed the rad again.....

This problem occured on radiator in parents house about 20 yrs ago. The plummer drilled a new hole in the top of the rad and welded or brazed (to long ago to remember) on a new bled screw. I am not sure if you can buy these now but you could check with a good hardware store.

I would be wary about a self tapper and PTFE, if you overtighten you will run the thread nd end up with a leak.

thanks to you all for replying. I will try the easy-out first.......let you know how I get on. :)

I'm having problems trying to bleed a radiator in the bathroom. The usual sized keys are too large and can't grip the bleed screw.

It looks like the bleed screw is smaller than the standard size - is this possible? Are there different sized keys you can get for bleeding?

It's also possible that the screw is worn down. What are my options if this is the case?

Thanks for your help

Sorry to keep you waiting I was out taking a few photographs of Lucan village tonight just a stupid hobby.

Anyhow now to the vents

Plumbers can do anything for you if you are prepared to pay for the time and effort involved.

But I suspect that you want to do DIY job. so removing vent screw or brazing is out. But you can get self tappers as suggested but they must be dome head stainless steel nothing else will do.. I get two sizes one a little heavier gauge than the other Shut off both ends of rad Drill for starter thread for smaller size screw and put screw in with fibre washer or ptfe tape
If you run into trouble you have option of heavier gauge screw.
screw must go into flat area so top may be out.

If getting screw to bite is difficult then steel is corroded to thin so you replace rad. There will be some corrosion as they were vented frequently. Aluminium window people have such screws and will let you have a few. see radtesting.com for corrosion info. ps I do not encourage DIY

Last edited:
Back