Quotes that make us think.

thedaras

like this one;

Let him who would move the world first ,move himself..

Failure is not a single, cataclysmic event. You
don’t fail overnight. Instead, failure is a few
errors in judgment, repeated every day.

We make a living by what we get, but we make
a life by what we give.

Who would you apply them to?

It’s easy to make a buck. It’s a lot tougher to
make a difference.

You can’t build a reputation on what you’re going
to do.

Last edited:
Best quote i've ever read and believe in.

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Those how say theres gonna be an economic crash no nathin about nathin
Bartholomew Ahearn

"But man, proud man,
Dress'd in a little brief authority,
Most ignorant of what he's most assur'd—
His glassy essence—like an angry ape
Plays such fantastic tricks before high heaven
As makes the angels weep"

Shakespeare; Measure for Measure

Not exactly thought provoking, but just true and humbling - and of course, well said.

Edit: In fact my signature I quite like - Everyone is wise until they speak - I think it's Chinese or something. Very simple and basic but again, true. To me it suggests a few things: It's a comment on smug fence sitters, afraid to commit and the aloof observers who find it easy to be smart just by being begrudging but not contributing and it also reminds me of that political poem/warning; "First they came"

To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge it, requires brains. (Mary Pettibone Poole)

Quote from Bob Dylan on't judge a man unless you have walked in his shoes''

Quote from Elvis, '' I feel lonely in a crowded room ''

There's mercy in every place,
And mercy, encouraging thought!
Gives even affliction a grace
And reconciles man to his lot. [Cowper]

"Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see."
Arthur Schopenhauer

"If you believe you cannot win, then you already lost."

"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, and become more, you are a leader"
John Quincy Adams

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.But I repeat myself...(Mark Twain )

Ever heard of Desiderata ?? Some links below. Great wisdom I think, and not dressed up too folksy.

At soft moments like this I often quote the sarcastic line from The Snapper - "I think I'm going to cry"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desiderata
http://www.poetseers.org/the_great_poets/misc/desid

p.s. it has that line about "you are a child of the universe" that's used in the Leinster gift grub song, itself based on some original song by someone I never heard of ....

Last edited:
Ever heard of Desiderata ?? Some links below. Great wisdom I think, and not dressed up too folksy.

I like it too. It's been kind of hijacked by christian happy clappies but it's nice - if a bit cheesy.

Just had a look at that,and its cool.Thanks.

Kipling's "IF". A bit like Desiderata. Have got it framed on the back of the loo door. People always comment on it.

Quotes attributed to Abraham Lincoln (but he probably never said most of them):

”You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.

You cannot help the small men by tearing down the big men.

You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.

You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling down the wage payer.

You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than your income.

You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatreds.

You cannot establish security on borrowed money.

You cannot build character and courage by taking away man’s initiative and independence.

You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.”

The last one is my favourite.

That's lovely and has lifted my heart.

Thanks Betsy.