Quotes so far - are these good?

*rose

we have been sending off plans like crazy over the past month. hoping to get started the end of the month. just wondering if these quotes for labour only so far are about right for our 3,200 sq ft storey and a half????

plastering: 23,000
roof: 22,000
external doors and windows: 22,000
plumbing: 25,000 (including solar panels and oil boiler and radiators)

also, how much should be expecting to be paying for roofing and internal joinery materials??
also, we are thinking about putting on natural slates?? where would be the best place to be looking for these???

we are in the south east and going direct labour. are these quotes very expensive???
any advice appreciated!!!

Re: Quotes so far - are these good???

Rose, I'm at exactly the same stage as yourself.
I don't think anyone is going to be able to give you advice here based on the info. you've provided.

The general rule is to get at least 3 quotes for each job. If they are all around similar prices, then you know where you stand. If they all vary wildly from each other ( and you are uneasy about choosing the cheapest) then you should continue looking for quotes.

I recently spoke to a guy with a 3400 sq foot dormer who paid 19K straight cash for the plastering inside and out.

The price for a roof also will greatly depend on how complicated a design it. My first roof quote is for 12500 labour (truss, felt & batten) + 1 euro per slate. If you are concerned by the figures above I recommend that you are sitting down when you get the quote for natural slate

External doors and windows again vary hugely in price depending on what you want. I know someone who got a quote several years ago from www.marvin-architectural.com for windows only that was 22K. They eventually bought from one of the large well known pvc window suppliers for 8K for windows and doors. We're building 3800 sq ft and our first quote for windows was 37K. I did expect that though because if you go after premium products you have to pay for them.

Can't comment on the plumbing quote. You could be putting 10 toilets or 1 into 3200sq ft for example so again you'll have to be more specific. Did the solar panel quote include the SEI grant?

If you provide more info. then people here should be able to help.

However, even going direct labour people seem to have hugely varying success at keeping the price down. On another website I visit people have posted between €50 and €120 per sq ft for direct labour builds. You're not comparing like with like though so its hard to find any really useful info. in these figures.

Good luck,

SAS

SAS, can you please post the address for the website you were looking at for the prices/ sqft?

Hi Rose,

3400 sq fty dormer.

18000 cash to plaster house and garage, slab the house and plaster inside.
Windows, 17 windows and 3 french doors £21000 including fitting for good quality sash pvc
I had very little plumbing as I have a heat system supplied by a different company. Also my house is SIP house and the roof came with it so cant hep you with the roof.
Electrics-9000 euros
I put on tegral thrutone slates which are man made cheaper to put on with 20 year guarantee.
. I would advise that if you are buying natural go to a Company like Tegral that will be around in the next 20 years and will give you a garauntee. Some natural slates can give bother and are more expensive to put on the roof. Make sure you pay that extra bit to have the slates sorted otherwise your roofer will charge you an arm and a leg to sort them.

Hi Rose

Building in the same area as yourself and just got some quotes back, can pass you on trades men details if you want, or vice versa if you dont mind...

For a tiled roof we are after getting a quote of 110K!!
Needless to say that we are after nearly falling over at that price, especially as we are going for slate albeit Tegral Thrutone. Granted it's not the standard A frame - more like 2 A's linked so it forms a Z shape - sort of!
Anyone else have similar costs or is this as bad as we think it is?

Also for our ground works on a fully serviced site we got quoted 55K - up to floor level - again comments pls?

Other prices:
House is 2800 sq ft 3 storey

Blockwork 45K including scaffolding
Carpenty 2nd fix 50K (includes slabbing, pine doors, pine wood work etc & 2 staircases)

Over here in UK the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors produce a price book for new builds and extensions. Can't remember what it's called, might be Spon's or something like that, but I would have thought there should be an equivilant in Ireland.

If you Google on the Chartered Surveyors site you should get some info.

Best of luck.

There is the Spons irish construction price book is very handy for us quantity surveyors in producing estimates but may not be the best for homeowners. Silvergirl what part of the south east are you in? I am starting in waterford next week and up to sub floor level is costing 15k, your prices seem completey cazy especially with tradesmen actually looking for work for the first time in years.

I cannot price the roof for you lads as I came as part of the kit, but we put in 2 doors and 22 windows for just over 8k, have a look at the blog to see if they are much smaller than yours but 21k stone mental!!!

I got all the house plastered outside (front was not done) and I got all skimmed for 5500 euro cash

How many people did you get quotes from for each job?

The roof and second fix prices seem absolutely ridiculous. I can't comment on the other parts.

Just on the blocks for example 2,800sqft house i note that it is three story so it will take a bit of scaffold. Healy brothers based in cork €505 per load of 1,024 4" blocks (John A Wood €500) Blocklayer average price per block €1.20 without knowing the exact size measurements of the house i would estimate 14,000 blocks to be a heck of a lot worst case scenario 14,000 X €1.70 = €23,800. As for scaffold judging by the price you would be better off to buy it yourself can sell it off when the house is complete and get more or less your money back initial payment €6k. Sand €23/Tonne €1,500 66 tonne loads! Cement €2k

Were the lintels and window sills in his price and the insulation?

Hi Jolly man and all,

Thanks for the invaluable info. They were fag packet prices from a recommended builder so no breakdown etc.

Needless to say I won't be calling him back. Have been on to loads of contractors over the past week so waiting on prices back, will share when I get them.

Any other info is greatly appreciated. Just on the scaffolding - do you not need it to be ticketed / inspected weekly or something for the site insurance compliance?

Cheers,
S'girl.