Quote to Vent, Fill Rads & Add new Rad Valves is €980.00. I need advice....

C

CatZee

Hi,

We have a Fokara Combi Boiler that started to leak and then stopped working (Heat and Water) approx 5 weeks ago. The initial call out fee was 180.00 to be told it wasn't working and needed a new part. Over 2 weeks later the part was sourced and a new appt made, 360.00 this call out but the fitter (he's not a plumber but a fitter) couldn't stay to bleed the boiler as he wanted to go home. 2 weeks later and many cancelled appts he came back last Wednesday to bleed the boiler and lo and behold no heat and hot water. He tried to leave but my partner made him stay until he got our water working at least, he did but under duress.
They are due to come out tomorrow and we were told it would take 2 x men half a day and cost 560.00 I've just had a message from them to say it will take a full day and cost 960.00 to vent and fill rads and add new valves to 6 x radiators.

I just feel we are being taken for a ride. Are these quotes excessive? Any advice would be gratefully received.
Cat

The first thing you should do is get in touch with a local plumber who will service your boiler every year and provide a emergency service.

Then I would inform the first company that you are taking a case to the Small Claims Court for the return of the 360 & 180 (it may cost you this for the service and refilling from new plumber) for the inconvenience caused by the messing around over the past 5 weeks.

Parts for boilers are not cheap but the least you could expect is your heating back on.

I’ve no opinion about why you need rad valves replaced or why it would take two men to refill a system.

Doesn't sound right, do you know what part they identified as being defective initially, as rad valves wouldn't be an issue normally, unless they were very old, leaking or the thermostatic type which can stick, but to need 6 replacing sounds strange,it's hard to say if their right or wrong with their diagnosis without more information, but they are charging a 5 star price for what sounds like a 1 star service, do the initial charges include parts? Gary.

What was the new part and where are you located? to be honest it sounds suss. would like to hear more. i wouldn't let them back in house, they don't seem to know what they are doing

Thanks all for taking the time to think about and reply to my post. Unfortunately I don't know exactly what they've done, what part was replaced etc. I'm trying to get a full report from them....

Well I decided it was just too cold not to be without heat and to let them go ahead. They came back yesterday and spent the day venting, filling and adding new valves.

They left unable to fix the heating and then we discovered whatever they did also left us with no water flow from our hot taps!! So we've no heating and not only no hot water but NO water (only from the hot tap though).

Anyway the waiting game is on.

Thanks again and if I get any more information I'll post again.

Find somebody else, for the money they are trying to get out of you, i would expect them to give you evian on tap, not leave you without, Gary

Back