Quote for Garden - How does it compare

J

Jimmygogo

Hi,

I have got the following quote for a landscaper to do my garden (turning our amatuer but homely previous efforts into a more professionally finished job - basically has started over:)

Prices are per sq metre:

Shrub Beds covered with bark mulch - €34.64
Rolled Lawn Turf - €7.27
Climbers and Trellises (each) - €37.75
Soft wood decking - €72.72

There is no separate price for labour, above prices are all-in. It just comes out at a lot when taken over the whole garden. But do these seem reasonable?

Thanks, JGogo

...be sure to get references from satisfied customers as well.
And get a plant list so you know what you've got and how to keep them alive....
FG

Jimmygogo said:
Hi,

I have got the following quote for a landscaper to do my garden (turning our amatuer but homely previous efforts into a more professionally finished job - basically has started over:)

Prices are per sq metre:

Shrub Beds covered with bark mulch - €34.64
Rolled Lawn Turf - €7.27
Climbers and Trellises (each) - €37.75
Soft wood decking - €72.72

There is no separate price for labour, above prices are all-in. It just comes out at a lot when taken over the whole garden. But do these seem reasonable?

Thanks, JGogo

JGogo

bark - this would allow for 6 bags approx [if it includes labour i really dont know??]
rolled turf - I assume this is to lay one sq yard only
trellice - depends on the size 6x4 6x2 and what size pot or type of climber
soft wood decking - it must be tiny!

As a landscape designer/ contractor this really gets my goat on two levels

1. the contractor gives no spec. and the client does not know what exactly he is getting

client gets ripped off without knowing

2.someone asks for 3 quotes and none of them sing from the same hymn sheet! no price can ever be the same unless a landscape architect is involved.

I really dont know if anybody would ask for a price to get a new house built without a more detailed spec and accept that as a pricing structure and in no other trade would it happen.

Please can people ensure that:
- the conractor is qualified
- he/ she is a limited company
- they are 'fully' insured
- they are C2 registered ie. tax is up to date
- you get a contract with reference to your spec
- they are registered with the ALCI [landscape contractors assoc. of Ireland] or the GLDA [Garden Landscape designers association] These associations are there for a reason and a builder would not allow a non RECI electrician wire your house.
- your spec says pot size/ plant size/ tree girth/ trellice
lawn rate/ per metre squared and total
hourly/ daily rate x job duration etc. ie. very detailed
- you dont give money up front - ITS NOT NECESSARY !!!

Please - the amount of calls we get to our office to rectify projects or to consult where this has happened. Most of the associations companies may even give free telephone advice [rather than too much neighbourly advice].

Regarding the 3 quotes!!! be very careful - the last article i wrote ended with cheaper can often be more tearful than cheerful. I think that will sum up my frustrations for tonight and I am sure there are lots of you who have horror stories!

AAM is a great place to ask all of your questions or queries but sometimes you need to be site specific. [sorry AAM] as not all gardens can be the same. Keep the queries coming and as best I / any other amply qualified AAM monitor/ horticulturist can advise all.

Jimmy this may not have ended as being the answer to your original point made but its been a long day for me alone personally where one person handed over 3k to a no show four months ago. The second was given a price of €8k for a €4.2k lawn and the third cant see out her back window.

Slan agus beannacht
Oirish

Back