Quinn Life Fund dilemma

Shepherd

Hi
I opened a Quinn Life Freeway Fund over a year ago and for one reason or another I decided to put the majority of my investment in China. I was aware of the risk. Initially it increased by 25% but since then it has plummeted by 50% from my initial investment.
I realise nobody can forecast the future but just looking for advice as to whether I should just hang in there or switch to one of the other freeway funds.Would the latter be advisable? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

My advice is hold your nerve and hang in there for the longer term if you can, - hopefully reverse gravity (what goes down must come up) will work in your favour.
Have a read of "The random walk guide to investing" or a "random walk down wall street" for a good perspective.

If you only put into China, not spreading your money around other funds it was high risk.

My view it will bounce back ....

Shepherd, I'm in similiar situation but spread my risk in other fund so am losing on several funds and need them all to come back!! I agree with previous comments, China is really strong and the west is getting a good shake-up with current crisis. Its a great opportunity for China to take the lead...

Been paying monthly installments into my QL fund for 15 months now. €700pm = €11000 at the moment only worth 7,800. Getting a bit worried. here is my split:

Euro 40%
China 25
Emerging 15
US 10
Japan 10

Getting a bit worried. here is my split:

Euro 40%
China 25
Emerging 15
US 10
Japan 10
Here’s my two cents worth: Look at the asset classes in which you’ve invested and not at the individual funds. You’re invested: 40% domestic market (i.e. euro) equities; 20% foreign developed market (i.e. US and Japan) equities and 40% emerging market equities (China and emerging). Not a bad split, especially if you have a long way to go before you need to cash in or draw down your investment. In which case I’d say leave it for 3 – 5 years and evaluate at that stage if there is any need to rebalance your allocation.
But if you are say within 10 years of cashing it in you might look at the 40% allocation to emerging markets, which might seem a bit high in that circumstance. If this were to case, you could stop making further investment into emerging market equities and swap gains (if and when you get them!) in emerging market equities into euro equities with the objective of reducing your exposure to volatile emerging markets to say 10 – 15% of your portfolio.
You should also investigate making further investment in other asset classes (e.g. global property, commodities, foreign government bonds, etc.).