Quinn Life Freeway

kd1964

Hi

So far 2000 down on quinn life, it was my ssia which performed very well and i reinvensted it all, i have diversifed between celtic, euro, china emerging markets and latin america.
I thought it would be worse actually but dunno should i now perhaps take out 50% and put that on deposit. when i am beginning to worry about it perhaps its time for a bit of security but celtic has lost 40% and it kills me to take out now but maybe i should cut my losses.
thanks
k

i guess i dont need the money any time soon, i invested 26k, its down now to 24k, i am just getting a little nervous
k

It’s difficult to see about what you are worried. You have a diversified portfolio of investments, so you need to determine the performance of your overall portfolio and not just focus on one component. Then see if your portfolio has underperformed or overperformed the major indices (e.g. FTSE100, S&P, Eurostoxx, etc.) [which in today’s markets probably means has lost a lower amount this year]. I don’t see, based on what you have posted, what you are worried about; the fact that one of your components - the Iseq - has lost money is neither here nor there: it’s the performance of your overall portfolio relative to alternatives, e.g. major market indices, and associated risk that counts. God does not give a guarantee to investors that all investments will show a positive return all the time.

indeed . to achieve good returns on this kind of investment you should have a 20yr timeframe

indeed . to achieve good returns on this kind of investment you should have a 20yr timeframe

Agreed. I have a small investment (6.5k) with Standard Life. After one year it went to 7.5, then over 2 more years fell to 4.5 before coming back to 7k. Yes, I got nervous, but I intend leaving it for 15 to 20 years.

OP, remember the old Warren Buffet (I think) saying 'Buy low, sell high'. If you sell now you are selling low.

Also, equity investments are risky, so in my opinion you should only invest money that won't leave you on the breadline if you lost it all.

However, if you are averse to financial risk and prefer safer options like deposits, then an equity-based fund will always give you sleepless nights, in which case equity investments would not suit you.

Back