Quinn Insurance Question

Smashbox

Hi everyone :D

My brother is 17, he has a full Irish driving licence and has been with Quinn Insurance for nearly a year now (April)

Currently, he is working in a local garage. His boss told him to call up his Insurance and ask if he could change onto a policy that would allow him to drive other cars for his job, as long as his own car is parked up and not used.

Is there such a policy? I called Quinn and gave them all his details, and they said that this isn't possible.

Do other insurers do such a thing, or is it that the lady I spoke to just isn't familiar with this?

Any advice would be greatfully recieved.

Normal private car policies often cover driving of other cars where the person can drive any car, usually restricted to third party cover, so long as it does not belong to them.

However, your brother is working in a garage. So what he needs is to be covered under a motor trade policy.
His employer would need to cover him to drive customers vehicles. He would not be covered to drive vehicles as part of his occupation in a garage, even if he does have driving other vehicles covered on his policy.

At 17 years of age, I doubt he has his full licence as yet. Let him qualify for his full licence and then move Insurance Company. Strange that the Garage owner won't place him on his own Motor Policy. So he wants your brother to take and pay for the risk whilst doing the driving as part of his job.:rolleyes:

He has his full drivers licence. He started driving on his 17th birthday, last April. He passed his test in August.

I have a feeling that the garage owner doesnt have a policy for this kind of thing. Its himself plus one, an apprentice as such (ie. my brother). I think he wanted to try and get my brother to pay up rather than bother getting something himself.

Maybe the boss's motives aren't as sinister as you imagine - could it be possible that his boss can't get cover for him under a motor trade policy due to his age?

I asked this too, however my brother is under the impression from the previous apprentice, also 17, was covered to do these tasks

if the employer has a motor traders road risk policy, then of course he can include the 17year old employee. There will be cost involved.

However, 17 yo policy will NOT cover him driving his employers customers cars. be careful

However, 17 yo policy will NOT cover him driving his employers customers cars. be careful

The lady on the phone said as much, Ravima - I've warned my brother because at times, his boss expects him to drive the other cars.

If he does and has an accident, then the insurers will not indemnify him. They MAY have to make certain payments to the innocent other party, but if they do, they WILL come after him for reimbursement. In the current climate, insurers chasing debts are chasing hard. At 17/18, he might not have any assets, but if there is a judgement against him, he will not be able to get credit or a mortgage in the future!!

He has his full drivers licence. He started driving on his 17th birthday, last April. He passed his test in August.

I have a feeling that the garage owner doesnt have a policy for this kind of thing. Its himself plus one, an apprentice as such (ie. my brother). I think he wanted to try and get my brother to pay up rather than bother getting something himself.

is there not some law about having to have provisional for a certain length of time before you can apply for a test?

Back