Quids = Euros?

Gordanus

I find the word quid sneaking back into everyday life bu now quid means euro. "It was only 5 quid" etc. Anyone else notice this?

yep - then they look a bit embarassed and correct to Euro. But then we seem to like referring to a "few yoyos" regular enough too. I guess as a country we don't like to leave behind old friends such as "a few quid", or even "a few bob" (which dates to pre-decimal!).

I know one Old Dub woman who invariably still converts the price of any item into what she describes as "real money" - Irish Punts!!! :)

People have been using quid in its updated sense from shortly after the introduction of the euro.
It was confusing initially as it wasn't clear if it was old money or euros that they meant.

Now if only we could get more people saying "twenty-O-six" instead of "two thousand and six".

Haven't heard anyone actually use the phrase 'yoyos' in conversation.... And I guess we'll get to twenty-ten in 2010!

Haven't heard anyone actually use the phrase 'yoyos' in conversation

It's not that uncommon. Mrs Murt on the other hand has decided that it is and has forbidden me from using it and of course I always do as I'm told .

Murt

Back