Quick tiling question

OhPinchy

I am in the middle of tiling a wall in my utility room. Next stage is to tile around a double socket. Its a chrome, round edged socket.

Should I tile up to the side of the socket (so it finishes flush with tiles), or should I remove the socket, tile around the socket box, and then refit the socket so that it sits proud of the suface of the tiles?

OhPinchy said:
I am in the middle of tiling a wall in my utility room. Next stage is to tile around a double socket. Its a chrome, round edged socket.

Should I tile up to the side of the socket (so it finishes flush with tiles), or should I remove the socket, tile around the socket box, and then refit the socket so that it sits proud of the suface of the tiles?

Remove socket and tile up to edge of galv. box (the steel box built into the wall). On completion refit the faceplate- you may need to use longer screws- these cost a few pence from an electrical wholesalers.

I'd agree with Carpenter - the finish will look much better tiled behind the socket face plate. Just be careful when removing the socket - to be 100% safe, cut the power, the terminals behind the socket are live.

Also be careful when washing off grout afterwards..try and use a mildly damp cloth around electric fittings or you could literally get a shock !!

perfect, thanks. yep, I suspected that it would look better sitting proud of the tiles alright, though the other half thought otherwise, so just wanted some ammo to persuade her! Have some longer screws so no worries there.

Back