Quick recovery tank & pump

Elginelf

I am currently changing over my heating system from oil to gas and having all rads and piping replaced. My builder has recommended that I replace the water cylinder while the work is being done. I had asked him to install a mixer shower with it's own pump. He's now saying it would make sense to replace the tank (it's old) with a quick recovery tank and put a pump on the whole system instead. The difference in price is 300euro for the pump on the shower versus 1,000euro for the new tank and a pump on the whole system. I think it's a good idea to replace the tank. I'm not sure a pump on the whole system is necessary - the water pressure seems to be quite good from what I can tell from not having moved in yet. I'm wondering if the pressure in the new mixer shower will be is good from a 'whole system pump' as opposed to its own individual pump?

I would not pump the whole system. Every time you turn on a tap, the pump will come on and they can be noisy. No need for. A built-in pumped shower works fine and delivers decent pressure.

Thanks Shane007. I was a bit worried about the noise alright. I have a similar system in the accommodation I'm currently renting. You do get used to the noise but it is irritating at times and guests have commented on it. I understand the need to replace the tank but I don't see the necessity for the pump. What I can't figure out is if I can get the quick tank without the whole system pump. I've tried asking the builder but I probably didn't make myself clear and I didn't understand his response.

I am not quite sure what you are asking but I think it is can you replace the cylinder without the pump. If so, then the answer is yes. The cylinder is not quick recovery but the coil within the cylinder is. Make sure if you are being charged extra for this, then it is a quick recovery coil. It should have fins along the coil to increase the surface area of the coil and there should be a data sheet giving you the recovery times.

Grand so, I'll talk to the builder about just installing the new cylinder without the fast recovery coil and the pump on the shower only. Thanks again for the info and the reminder about the noise. I'm getting a good bit of work done on the house, with lots of decisions to be made, so it's easy to overlook some things and end up regretting it.

Nothing wrong with going with a quick recovery coil in the cylinder. Just check the extra price difference before making up your mind.

Back