Quick grammar question

Around the time of the recent general election someone told me that "Of course Fianna Fail will get in - sure it's inedible!".

What annoys me are shops that have signs up for sunday trading - Open sunday 12AM to 6PM. I didn't know Sunday trading laws allowed opening for 18 hours!

There is no such thing as 12AM or 12PM. It's 12 noon and 12 midnight. That one annoys me.... so do pedantic people

And then there are those who refer to "2 a.m. in the morning". When else will we have 2 a.m.?

One of my biggest gripes has to be the likes of "five times poorer", "three times slower" and so on, which are utterly meaningless.

In Irish you've got a Continuous past tense Gnáthcáite and a continuous present tense Gnáthláithreach
The lack of these tenses in english has led to some interesting work arounds which you hear all the time eg I do be
I like the way in irish there is a special tense also for ordering people around remember the old Bígí ciúin

The English (i.e. in England) construction "aren't I?" always annoyed me - especially as they would correct my usage "amn't I?" (I'm such a pedant, amn't I? - I'm right, aren't I? )

I caught the end of a story on the Last Word about all the slang words that have their origins in the Irish language. Sounded interesting.

Also read an article about Irish influencing the construction of sentences in english.

For example the very "Irish english" sentence "Isn't it late in the day you're doing this.", is a direct translation for (approximately) "Nach deanach san lae ata se seo a dheanamh agat".

Ok that was dodgy but you get the idea......

I'm a terror for putting inverted commas around words to emphasise the meaning isn't literal - does this make me a bad person?

I know it's been mentioned before, and it seems that a fairly standard annoyance is the misuse of apostrophes, together with bad punctuation in general. One of the best has to be "apostrophe's" when the intended use was as a plural. Some posts are almost in the style of , described as having a 'ballistic approach to spelling and punctuation'.

"This means it is unlikely that the family will collect their check from National Lottery head quarters in Dublin today."

from the rte.ie news page today!!

very american.