Quick extension/planning query

sam78

I had a look through Oasis.ie/gov but didnt find an answer but wondering if someone can give me a rough idea on this. We are toying with the idea of building a 1 storey extension to the side of our house (3 bed semi) but to get around the issue of re-locating ESB/Gas meters etc we were thinking of knocking through the entrance into the extension from the downstairs WC.

I vaguely remember reading somwhere that all houses must have a downstairs WC so as we'd need planning permission if we go ahead with it, how likely is it to be granted if it means knocking out and removing downstairs toilet to make an hallway into the proposed extension which will be creating a playroom and extra bedroom??

Your problem will be with building regulations. If you need planning permission for an extension/renovation it must comply with the regs. Current regs require a downstairs, wheelchair accessible toilet. 3 bed semis are extended to the side all the time so there must be some other/better/regulation friendly way to do it

Thats what I suspected....that regulations meant to must comply with a downstairs toilet (although it would want to be a tiny wheelchair to be able to actually fit in ours!!)

Thanks for that...back to the drawing board so!

You can remove the existing downstairs WC to give you access to extension and build a new WC in the extension. So, your hosue still has a downstairs toilet. All those done considering Ramble's input regarding building regulations.

BTW, ESB meter does not need to be accessible for reading from outside, so ESB told me, but they prefer has it makes their job easier for reading. My meter is now "inside" and i submit reading via internet every 2 months.

Obviously, Gas needs too for safety reason...