questions to ask tarmac guy??

paddyjnr

Can anyone please tell me what questions should i be asking my tarmac guy as i am getting my driveway done soon and I'm hearing some horror stories about dodgey jobs!!! somebody told me there is even different shades of black tarmacadam..Is this true and can i specify which type i want if it is?? I'm very new to this so I would be greatful for any advice.. I'm not really to worried about the money side as i think i got a good price but i do want the job done properly.. Thanks..

Do you know of any previous people who have had jobs done by this company/person? For a tarmacadam job, it is better to look at a job which is at least 5 + years old so that a badly done job will show up; as in sunken areas, pot holes etc...

Im no expert in this area but looking at references is the best guide that i can give to go on when looking at hiring someone. Im sure there are other people on here who will give you the questions to ask that you are looking for.

The first question is ask to see their 'C' certificate i.e. their full cover re insurance to do the job. As above are they reputable - many cowboy tarmac guys out there. Was their name on their van, was it english registered etc, etc. Have you seen any of their work? There are so many questions you should ask. Why not get several quotes and that will separate the genuine from the chancers.

Another great one is there mobile phone number only.

This is a trade mainly covered by members of the travelling community. \the difference in the blackness of the tar revolves around the amount of diesel which they throw into the Tar.

You are better off driving around and finding a large building site and ask the foreman who they will be using to do their tarmacadam. Or else start by looking at the Yellow pages, and then check to see if they have a yard /decent set up.