Health Insurance Questions on the Fairdeal Scheme

Mlo101

My question is this. We're considering the Fairdeal Scheme for my Father in law, who has a terminal diagnosis, he needs Nursing home/Palliative care and but is very unlikely to last a long time. Bearing this in mind how does the HSE take it's contribution, is it on a weekly, monthly, annual or other basis.

In other words if we apply for the scheme and are accepted will the HSE take say a years worth of contribution, regardless of how long my father in law lasts. If so would we be better off to go private? Or to put it horribly clinically will going on the fair deal scheme cost more than going privately if my father in law dies within a few months of starting the scheme?

HSE take a contribution?

I think you mean "you make a contribution towards the cost of care"?

The HSE don't take anything.

You make a contribution, based on the formula.

I'd imagine too your or his contribution is paid based on the fees of the nursing home be that weekly or monthly.

It could take quite some time before someone is accepted into the Fair Deal scheme, that might have a bearing on what you need to do

You should apply for the scheme and it can take some weeks to get approval. If your relative goes into a nursing home prior to approval they have to pay the full amount themselves. However, if they are transferred from a hospital they may get what is called a transitional care bed ( if one is available) until funding is approved and they do not have to pay for that. This is to free up beds in acute hospitals. Nursing homes are generally paid monthly by the HSE.

Thanks for the replies. Maybe I haven't asked the question clearly.

Basically if we get him on to the Fair deal scheme for how long do we make a contribution, if He passes away, i.e do we just pay for the current week, do we pay for the current month, year etc?

Last edited:
You just pay for the weeks that your relative is in care and is still alive. Sometimes a person can be transferred from a nursing home to hospital in their final days or weeks. You continue to pay for nursing home for these weeks unless it is clear the person is never going back and room cancelled in nursing home.

Something to consider if you are thinking of paying privately is that the fair deal negotiate certain rates with nursing homes. You could pay hundreds more than the fair deal rate for the same room privately.

Back