Questions on Build quote

D8Lady

Hello there,

I have finally found a builder who comes recommended from several sources, who will consent to start work on kitchen extension in 2 weeks time. (This is builder no.7)

I have received his detailed quote today. I've 2 questions:
- He prefers cash. I'd rather not carry notes around. Is there any way I can force him to use a cheque, EFT or bank draft?

- The payments are phased - foundations, block work, roof & completion. He asks that between 1000 and 2000 be witheld until totally finished. Is there a normal percentage that one retains until it is totally finished e.g. 10%?

All the work is necessary to clean after cowboys from previous house owner. Don't want to be bitten again. Any advice appreciated.

D8L

He may be good as he has been recommended,my only worry is looking for cash for an extension seems a bit dodgy,its not like its going to be a few hundred,

Standard retention on almost all contracts is 5%, this however may not fall under the realm of a standard contract.
A lot of extension type builders will want cash, most of them accept 50/50 split cash / draft.
A bit of trust is required on both parties behalf in arrangements like this.
If he's looking for 4 staged payments and has agreed to some retention my gut feeling would be to trust him.
Get some one you know with a bit of knowledge of construction to check your drawings for the dreaded extras, if he trots out the line " oh i have'nt priced for that" you could be looking at a budget over run.
Get him to give you a run down on what he has priced ie external finish footpaths etc, roof finish incl ridge caps to match existing or is it flat roof, windows and doors internal and external, skirtings and architraves, plastered skimed finish inside or boarded and taped joints ( go for the former) , is he fitting kitchen? is he providing plumbers and electricians and all attendant materials for those trades?

Beast of luck with the extension

If you have a read of this thread and the explanation in the link therein you will see the many pitfalls in paying cash.

Thanks for the replies guys.
Movax - I've had the drawings done myself by a family member. The written quote the builder gave me was very much to the letter of the drawings.
Walls will be plastered skim finish. Required trades & materials will be provided.

Any additional suggestions he gave were legitimate comments. The only issue I have so far is just with the cash request.

Thanks again,

D8L

A quick update: Contacted the builder to finalise some details. Said that cash would be awkward to get, that my bank branch would be some distance away.
We've agreed on cheques as payment method.

Thanks again for replies.
D8L

Back