Questions for an architect

Kramer

Hi,

I am just beginning the long road to hopefully building my dream home.
I have scheduled a meeting with an architect tomorrow and am wondering what type of questions I should be asking them.

Thanks

An Architect wil probably use this meeting to get information and develop a brief. For example:

Size / shape / layout of house?
1 / 2 storey / dormer? (Planning dependant)
Sizes & number of rooms (bedrooms, recreational, utiluty, etc)
Storage
Heating - oil / gas / underfloor / solar etc
Finishes - internal and external
General finishes - floors, walls, etc
Kitchen - shape, layout, finishes
WC's

Most importantly, agree a scheme, establish your budget and stick to it. Get an architect to schedule out all major items of expenditure, so you can see where your money is going.

Further meetings will then develop this information into drawings for a planning application. Try and have every thing buttoned down before going to a builder - try to avoid changes during the build, these will be more expensive.

Last edited:
~Theres a magazing called 'HOUSE' out on sale at the moment. It has a purple colour on the top and 'architecure,design,garden,advice' written underneath it. they have an excellent article about what to discuss when you are dealing with your architect for the first time. They also have reproductions of plans of existing houses, which are handy for getting inspiration!

These 20 questions from the RIAI might help:

[broken link removed]

Also some notes on working with your architect:

[broken link removed]

Note also from the latter:
"There is no legal protection of the title architect in Ireland and many people think that the title architect means that the person has academic and professional qualifications. In fact 87% of persons in a recent independent public opinion survey were not aware that the title architect is not protected or registered. RIAI members have recognised academic qualifications , have a minimum period post qualification professional experience and must pass an examination in professional practice. RIAI members are qualified to the highest national, EU and international standards."

I have no connection with the RIAI.

Architects will be registered under the Building COntrol Act, which should be transcribed into law this year. This will set out the minimum qualifications / experience, etc.

Thanks for all the advice, fingers crossed from here on in, I'm sure I'll be back for plenty of advice between now and (hopefully) moving in!!!

make sure he is an architect!believe me i have been caught with this it cost me a lot of money

Make sure he has sufficient insurance cover and that Hoembond/Premier Garauntee recoqnise his

Back