Question regarding the death of one's partner and sale of their house

K

kerrymick

Basically, my uncle died and in his will he wishes that his house be sold and the money shared among 4 people. These are his 3 children and his partner of 14 years who lived with him in the house. He was divorced from his wife many years ago. No problem there.

His partner was living with him in the house, albeit unofficially. (She has a local authority house which she is 'thought' to be living in)

At the moment, his kids have told his partner to stay living in the house until all the legal stuff is sorted and the house is put on the market. She has agreed to that, although one of the children is worried that she may refuse to leave the house once it is ready to sell.

My question is this. Can she stay in the house indefinately or will she have to move out once requested by his kids. I am thinking along the lines of squatters etc. (I have googled it but it is not too clear)

My own thinking is that she already has a house and so has no argument. And if the local authority found out she had not been living in her house they would not be too impressed either.

Squatters rights won't be an issue as first of all she would have to be in there for at least 12 years and also she would have to be there without the permission of the owner of the house. As far as getting her to leave there shouldn't be a problem with that unless your uncle made some sort of promise to her that should could stay there after he died which seems unlikely given the directions he left in his will. From what you've described it also sounds like it would be in her interest to leave the house if she stands to gain from the sale and could potentially lose her council house if she doesn't leave.

Back