Question regarding refund of rent paid within unregistered property

QRITA

Hello, I have been renting a property in North Dublin for the past 5 months and I have recently discovered that not only was my lease invalid and not legal tender, but that the landlord renting the property is not registered. I intend to leave the property immediately because of this, as I am not happy to be renting and living in such a household.

However, I am wondering, given the illegitimacy of the rental agreement and lease and that it does not stand up, if I would be entitled to have the rent I paid at this house during those 5 months refunded in totality given that I was paying rent while resident in a non-registered household and thus effectively paying the landlord in the hand?

Thank you.

You paid the agreed rent for the property and lived there.

If you are unhappy about how the landlord conducts his affairs, make report to Revenue, PRTB, Council as appropriate. I can't see where an entitlement to a refund arises but IANAL.

Hello, I have been renting a property in North Dublin for the past 5 months and I have recently discovered that not only was my lease invalid and not legal tender, but that the landlord renting the property
This sounds like a troll but what the hell...
You say the 'lease is invalid and not legal tender' because of what exactly?

I intend to leave the property immediately because of this, as I am not happy to be renting and living in such a household.
Because he has not registered the tenancy with the PRTB or for any other reason?

However, I am wondering, given the illegitimacy of the rental agreement and lease and that it does not stand up
Illegitimacy? On the grounds of the tenancy not being registed with the PRTB?....or you have any other rationale?

if I would be entitled to have the rent I paid at this house during those 5 months refunded in totality given that I was paying rent while resident in a non-registered household and thus effectively paying the landlord in the hand?
Ok, so you feel that there's an opportunity to wriggle out of paying for a service (in this case, use of a property) that you have received in otherwise good faith ( you don't tell us otherwise - and the LL not registering the tenancy does not affect your rights)? Would you drop down to Tesco's and lift something - then come on here an ask if it was ok to do so?...because what you are asking (without any other info supporting your point of view) is akin to that.

Walk while you have all your original body parts intact.
This seems like something unsavoury.
There is no point in being dead right.
ps whats the plan for your initial deposit?

Walk while you have all your original body parts intact.
This seems like something unsavoury.
There is no point in being dead right.
Huh? The only info we have to date is that the LL hasn't registered the tenancy with the PRTB. I may be missing something but that doesn't make him the zodiac killer!

Hello, I have been renting a property in North Dublin for the past 5 months and I have recently discovered that not only was my lease invalid and not legal tender, but that the landlord renting the property is not registered. I intend to leave the property immediately because of this, as I am not happy to be renting and living in such a household.

However, I am wondering, given the illegitimacy of the rental agreement and lease and that it does not stand up, if I would be entitled to have the rent I paid at this house during those 5 months refunded in totality given that I was paying rent while resident in a non-registered household and thus effectively paying the landlord in the hand?

There is no such thing as a "registered household" or "non-registered household" in Ireland.

You may be referring to tenancies being registered with the PRTB?

You use the language "legal tender" - this applies to currency, not to leases.

I have recently discovered that not only was my lease invalid and not legal tender

As has been pointed out, the use of the term "legal tender" is meaningless here.

Do you have a written lease?

If so, it's a legally binding agreement. Binding on you and binding on the landlord.

What grounds do you have for claiming it was "invalid"?

Brendan

As has been pointed out, the use of the term "legal tender" is meaningless here.

Do you have a written lease?

If so, it's a legally binding agreement. Binding on you and binding on the landlord.

What grounds do you have for claiming it was "invalid"?

Brendan

Apologies for the misuse of the term tender regarding my situation. The PRTB has just confirmed that my landlord is not registered with them and that my tenancy was a non-registered one. Also, the house was of sub-par condition with many instances of landlord neglect and negligence.

So I am wondering what the chances are of receiving a rebate for a service which was both unregistered and sub-par for what I was paying.

Thank you.

The PRTB has just confirmed that my landlord is not registered with them and that my tenancy was a non-registered one.
So what? This doesn't affect your rights as a tenant. ...unless of course you are purposely looking for an angle to exploit...

Also, the house was of sub-par condition
You viewed and inspected the property before signing the lease, right? If so, how are you now complaining of property being in 'sub-par' condition?

with many instances of landlord neglect and negligence.
That's vague. Do tell.

So I am wondering what the chances are of receiving a rebate for a service which was both unregistered and sub-par for what I was paying.
Really comes across like you are actively looking for an angle to exploit.

Really comes across like you are actively looking for an angle to exploit.

Yes, it does. It is very, very unlikely that any landlord would hand over cash to a tenant as a refund in such circumstances.

If you really want to play hardball, you could threaten the landlord with reports to Revenue and PRTB, and see if that would intimidate him into repaying. Your chances of success are still slim, and you could end up inflaming a situation.

Back