Question regarding private surveillance camera

M

mullmick

Dear All- any advice would be appreciated.

I have noticed that a neighbour has erected was appears to be a CCTV/ surveillance camera to the side of their property, and I have concerns that this camera looks onto, or indeed may be capable of looking into my home. My plan of action at present is to:

- approach the neighbour politely and ask if indeed it is an active camera, why they have erected it?
- ask if the camera is capable of looking onto my home, and if they say "no" ask to see the camera footage or live-feed to confirm.
- if I can establish that the camera is able to look onto my home, and I am going ask them to remove it (and preferably shut it off immediately)

My question(s) are:
- does my neighbour have a right to privately erect such a camera?
- does my neighbour have a right to privately erect a camera that can look into, or overlook my privately owned home?
- does my neighbour have a right to erect a camera for any purpose?
- IF the camera is overlooking my home, and my neighbour wont agree to remove it, what are my options?
- is my current plan of action the best way to proceed in this instance?

Any advice, thoughts are welcome.

I'd recommend having a look at the Data Protection Commissioner's website.
You should be able to get some information there.

[broken link removed]

From what I know they are not allowed to be viewing your property! We do have a camera up at the front of our garage as we have had a 2 cars taken and others stuff taken out of them over the years. As our dividing wall is quite low we do see part of the end of next doors garden but they are aware of this and when their car was taken they knocked in to ask to watch the camera back, so for us its not a problem. They have now since put up their own camera and the same, they can see the end of our driveway.

Try speaking to them and see what is going on.