Question re: UK taxpayer and GP fees in RoI

RMCF

Hi,

I work and pay taxes in NI, and hence get use of the NHS/GP for free. I do know that I can get a medical card to have myself seen in RoI for free due to this (I live in RoI by the way).

However, I took my infant to the GP today (in RoI) and it cost €40.

Is there any way that I can get him seen for free using my National Insurance contributions in the North? Does anyone have similar circumstances who might know the answer?

I'm think the answer will be 'No' but worth asking anyway.

No. It doesn't matter where you work, you will be treated the same as all residents.

No-one in RoI gets to see a GP for free, unless you have a medical card.
If you believe that your income would entitle you to a medical card,then you should apply, but PRSI or National Insurance contributions do not entitle you to free GP visits.

The income guidelines for a medical card are here.

[broken link removed]

Last edited:
No. It doesn't matter where you work, you will be treated the same as all residents.

No-one in RoI gets to see a GP for free, unless you have a medical card.
If you believe that your income would entitle you to a medical card,then you should apply, but PRSI or National Insurance contributions do not entitle you to free GP visits.

The income guidelines for a medical card are here.

[broken link removed]

My income wouldn't normally qualify me for a MC but I have heard many times that people who would be entitled to free GP appointments in the North via paying NI contributions are able to get a cert or something to allow them to listen their local GP in the South for free. I assume they then bill the NHS in NI.

PErhaps I'm wrong cos I have never followed it up.

''Generally, if you work in one Member State and live in another, you are entitled to get health services in the state where you live and where you work.

This means that workers who live here but work in Northern Ireland are entitled to get medical cards here without a means test. Their families are also entitled to a medical card in Ireland without a means test provided the spouse is not employed or self-employed here.
''

[broken link removed]

Services available under EU Regulation 1408/71 to holders of the European Health Insurance Card, E111 or equivalent during a temporary stay in Ireland:

''Treatment is provided free of charge by Primary Care Reimbursement Services (PCRS) GPs to all those who eligible under EU regulations.''

[broken link removed]

So, if you lived in NI you could have told the GP that you were seeking treatment under EU regulations.

Seeing as you are entitled to a GMS Medical Card, you may be able to get the GP fee refunded if you enquire from your Local HSE Health Office, it's certainly worth enquiring about. Either way you should apply for a Medical Card once you can establish to the HSE that you live here & work in NI.

Thanks for that PaperCut.

My wife is currently on maternity leave - do you think that would affect my application?

Must enquire into it. Thanks.

If she's on maternity leave from employment here I'd guess that she would be classed as being employed here & wouldn't be entitled to one. The best thing to do is just fill in the Medical Card Application - you will be asked for all household details, so they will issue cards to whoever is entitled to one.

Sorry to hark on, but if I get issued with one will it only apply to me, or my son too?

Only to you. If your wife is classed as being employed here, she or any of your children would not be entitled to a Medical Card.

From the HSE website:-

If You Have EU Entitlement

If you belong to one of the following groups, you will get a Medical Card under EU Regulations:
  • You are living in Ireland and receiving a social security payment from another European Union /European Economic Area (EU/EEA) country or Switzerland and you are not getting an Irish social welfare payment
    (apart from Child Benefit or Early Childcare Supplement). You must not be liable to contribute to the Irish Social Welfare System, (i.e. PRSI)
  • You are living in Ireland and working in another EU/EEA country or Switzerland and are liable to pay Social Insurance Contributions in that country
  • You are living in Ireland and you are the dependent spouse or child of someone employed in another EU/EEA country and Switzerland. You must not be getting an Irish Social Welfare Payment apart from Child Benefit or Early Childcare Supplement and you must not be liable to contribute to the Irish social welfare system.

Apply on the normal (Irish) Medical Card Application Form.
You only need to fill the details that refer to your NI income. Investments, savings etc. are "not applicable" as there is no means test

Thanks for all the feedback folks.

I really only needed to find out if I could get my child seen for free. I don't realyl care about myself as I still see an NI GP anyway as I live so close to the border. Still registered with his practice through my old NI address.

Back