Question re light fittings / sunken spots

Determined

I'm moving into a new build soon and had hoped to get the electrician to do a couple of nixers but he's long gone I'm told so

Staircase: I'm planning on getting a runner up centre but liked the idea of sunken spots at either side of every second step or so
How nuts is this idea

Livingroom: This goes front to back of house ie long room
It has only one light fixture very centre of ceiling
How crazy (and damaging to new ceiling) would it be to have this changed to one centre of top half of room and one centre of bottom half
IE: living room cum dining room

All this said I have to find an electrician yet

This should be easy as long as there are no carpets or finished floors laid upstairs yet.

Now if you want them switched separately that's more challenging...

Staircase: I'm planning on getting a runner up centre but liked the idea of sunken spots at either side of every second step or so
How nuts is this idea...
That depends on whether you want the sunken lights switched separately from hall or landing lights, whether the staircase is enclosed by walls on both sides or one side is open to the hall and so on...

Hopefully the plastering and decorating aren't finished yet as otherwise it could become a nixer for the electrician, a nixer for the plasterer and a nixer for the decorator..

Thanks Mathepac so I could prob do livingroom quite easily then if it can be accessed from upstairs ? ! So before carpets are laid me thinks

Re sunken lights haven't thought where to have them turned on from but prob the hall I would think
Staircase is centre of house so although there's a wall on one side the other side is open part way does this effect it also ?

I'm trying to draw up an order of progress for the inital jobs most decorating is done ie magnolia everywhere but starting with hall and kitchen floor tiling etc
Any obvious electricals will def need to be done before tiles go done I presume

Thanks Mathepac so I could prob do livingroom quite easily then if it can be accessed from upstairs ? !

Yeah its easier to get access from upstairs as otherwise it might mean damaging the ceiling to run cables - possible but messy and more expensive.

Putting in an extra switch will mean digging holes in a wall, replastering and redecorating

...Re sunken lights haven't thought where to have them turned on from but prob the hall I would think
Staircase is centre of house so although there's a wall on one side the other side is open part way does this effect it also ?...
It makes it more awkward as the cabling needs to run under the stairs and short of cutting out the treads or risers there's no way to get access. Ask electrician to have a look. All things are possible as long as the budget can support it.

Any obvious electricals will def need to be done before tiles go done I presume

Floor tiles should be OK but splash back / wall tiles may need to wait.