Question re extension and planning.

Vanilla

I hope some of the engineers/archs who post here can advise. I have actually asked my engineer but it will take him weeks to come back to me. When we built our house we added on an extension within the limit exemption- think it was 25m at the time. We used this extension downstairs as a part garage/ part dining room and upstairs a bathroom. Now I want to convert the garage/dining room into one big sitting room. As it was never part of the planning anyway do I need to get planning permission for this? If I need to get planning permission I am thinking of going ahead and doing the work and applying for retention ( I am fairly confident that no one would object and that council shouldnt have a problem with conversion of an existing structure) but originally our planning permission said we had to have wooden sash windows. Would that mean that if I put in french doors to the garage door that they should be wooden too? I like wooden but we live by the sea so the upkeep will be disastrous. We actually had aluminium cladded wooden sash windows to the rest of the house with planning approval but I am not keen to have to buy similar french doors because they will cost €5000.00. Would appreciate advice.

Depends on a number of factors, there are a few previous threads on the subject if you use the search facility. Is the front wall of the garage in line with the front of the house, or is it set back?

A quick phone call to your local planning authority should clarify the situation.
Leo

No prob., from memory of previous threads, if the front of the garage is level with the front of the house, and you are significantly changing the appearance (such as replacing a window with french doors), then planning may be required.
Leo

Thanks Leo. Our house doesn't face the road so it's a little more complicated I fear. I rang planning and they asked me to put the query in writing. My engineer may even come back to me before that ( or maybe not!). I read the previous threads but can't come up with something completely relevant so I guess I'll just have to wait and see.