Question on internal insulation and windowsills

W

Whelp

Hi,
Currently debating ins and outs of internal v external insulation. My one query is in regard to window sills - my house has the old style ones which protrude no more than half an inch. Is there any way of extending these properly or is ripping them out and putting in new ones the only solution?

Thanks for any input.

From what I have seen of external insualtion, the installer actually chips the existing window cill back flush to
the wall to allow maximum coverage by the new external insualtion. It's then finished with a new pvc type of board.

Can't advise on which one to get but getting the internal one done is cheaper but messy if you are settled in the house

Hi there,

You are better off to cut the existing window sill with a consaw, and then have the external insulation flush with the entire wall including around your window. External has many benefits.

-External Wall Insulation Systems have been used successfully for over forty years in the U.S. It is cladding that is light weight, flexible, durable and adds energy saving to the external walls of a home.

-There is little or no disturbance to the occupants and the possible additional cost of temporary re-housing is avoided.

-There are no problems of insulating around or behind internal fittings eg. in kitchens and bathrooms, but also cupboards, shelves, power points.
Potential cold bridges at all internal/external wall and ceiling junctions are reduced.

-In a complex building, it is easier to make sure that the whole of the external surface is insulated, thus increasing thermal efficiency.

If you'd like some more information on this please feel free to email me or visit our website

nick@maherinsulation.ie

Cost is a huge factor with external insulation. It is an extremely high cost whereas if you choose internal, your budget can allow you to install room by room as your budget allows. Pick the north facing rooms first, then the east, the. West and if you have anything left over you can do the south!

With regard to hard wearing, I have worked in houses with external insulation and most have gashes with exposed polystyrene showing. I would have thought that it should be more hard wearing than it is and can withstand usual accidental banging with hard objects.

Finally, I was not aware that self promotion or touting was allowed on this forum, but I stand to be corrected.