Question for the computer experts re: data downloading for internet radio

RMCF

I have a question about streaming internet radio, which might only be answered by those that really know what they're talking about (ie not me).

If I was to set up an internet radio system at home, and stream it for say an hour, how many MB would it use up towards my monthly limit ?

I appreciate that it may depend on the kbps that it coming down at, so use 128kbps as a guide as I think this is the best you tend to get on internet radio.

I am considering it and have an unlimited usage per month, but a fair usage policy applies. So I am wondering if I was to stream say 4hrs per day how much would I use over a month?

Thanks.

To use your 128kbps figure...

128kbps is 16 kilo bytes a second,

so 16 * 60 seconds * 60 minutes * 4 hours = 230400 kilo byes

that's 225 meg (or .21 of GB) per day

Thanks for that. So I think I should be ok then, as 4hrs per day was a real extreme example. Would probably be more like 1hr.

As for the maths, how does 128kbps = 16K per second?

I think you will need whats called a static IP address for this. Most broadband providers give you a dynamic IP address when you log onto your broadband, but in order to allow other people to connect to your audio steam you need a static IP address I think.

That is probably going to cost you.

Thanks for that. So I think I should be ok then, as 4hrs per day was a real extreme example. Would probably be more like 1hr.

As for the maths, how does 128kbps = 16K per second?

small k = bits
big K = bytes

big K = small k * 8

I have at least 2 net radios running since 2005 and have been involved with net radio since 2000, there are ways via auto dj sites that allow you to stream a station 24/7.
If you need any advise on any of this pls ask via PM.

Thanks to all for your replies.

I will probably press ahead with it and try to get internet radio up and running, cos the stations I would listen to (TodayFM, RTE 2, BBC Radio 2) are getting a little tired for me.

Back