Question for anyone that plays Hurling

ice

My son is 7 and in first class. He plays hurling for a local club and is an excellent player. He has been playing since he was young and is a lot more advanced than the boys in his class/club for his age group.

He is not afriad to 'get stuck in' and often gets hit with the hurl (last week it was across the back and the week before someone nearly broke his finger). On the other side of the coin he often 'does damage' to the other boys he is playing with. There is nothing malicious in it, he is purley trying to go for the ball and the boys who don't really play much often get in the way, put the ball between their feet, come in for the ball the wrong way etc and end up getting hurt. My son is so focused on the game he often does not realise he has hurt someone. His coach in the club has told me he has a real talent but my concern is that he looks 'rough' to some of the non hurling bystading parents, in that he often catchs boys on the leg with his hurl.
Hes a lovely lad and is no trouble (go a glowing report from his teacher to say he is a joy to teach, never in trouble, never fighting, helps the others in the class etc)
My father (who is from Cork and was involed in hurling all his life) says that the other boys will learn to come into a tackle the right way as they get older and to leave my son as he is (not to try and get him to avoid tackles).
Is hurling just a tough game? Should I get my son to step back a bit or will that take part of what makes him a good hurler away from him?
Would love to hear from people involved in the game.

I would say that the other players haven't learned how to tackle yet. The closer you are to your opponent, the less likely you are to get hit (or hit hard) - no swing room. If a player doesn't step into a tackle then they are likely to get hurt. Having said that though he will get hurt, its part of the learning process.

If he's having fun and is enjoying himself leave him at it - the ref will call players up for dangerous play - chopping, wild swings, charging etc ...

Just make sure he gets into the habit of wearing the correct safety gear.

His coach in the club has told me he has a real talent but my concern is that he looks 'rough' to some of the non hurling bystading parents

I'd ask the coach then if he's rough, you say the coach says he has real talent, but you don't say that the coach also said he was rough... I'm a hockey player and well any game with a ball and a stick is going to result in some injuries, you'd be mad to send your kid out there and expect them never to get a whack or two. The lower the standard the more injuries there are.

There's nothing wrong with being rough, so long as it isn't uncontrolled aggression, ie whacking rings around you just for the sake of it with no ball in sight. As comanche says, make sure he's well protected with the right gear (apparently Lidl stuff is not recommended by GAA), make sure he has a helmet and visor, gum shield too (dentist made when teeth are fully grown) and good leg protection. I'd be delighted if my kids when they're 7 will play a team sport, ideally hockey like their Mum but it's GAA in their school so I don't mind. Good exercise, good respect. I'd encourage him.

His coach in the club has told me he has a real talent but my concern is that he looks 'rough' to some of the non hurling bystading parents, in that he often catchs boys on the leg with his hurl.

If he's having fun and is enjoying himself leave him at it - the ref will call players up for dangerous play - chopping, wild swings, charging etc ...

I think if the coach decides (because of the lack of skill among the other players) to tell your son to back off then its imperative that both you and the coach explain to him why he is being told to back off and make sure he fully understands why.
Its' important your son isnt taught the wrong way to play, developing any bad playing habits and unfairly brought down to the level of someone who doesn't play as well. It's important he continues to develop and improve his game. If your coach is good (and he appears to be since hes' having a dialogue with you and your son) then he will recognise the need to nurture your sons' talent.
Fun with his mates at this age is very important but perhaps there are other teams which can give your son more of a challenge which he could play with now and again ?

I would say that the other players haven't learned how to tackle yet. The closer you are to your opponent, the less likely you are to get hit (or hit hard) - no swing room. If a player doesn't step into a tackle then they are likely to get hurt.

Thats what one of the coachs up there said too and my son learned this lesson the hard way the first year he played he got black and blue but soon understood how to protect himself. I suppose a big part of the problem is that although the boys are the same age, there is a huge difference in ability.

In addition a lot of the parents and some coachs are from a non hurling background so see a hit to the legs of a boy as always being the other persons fault.

He has never been told to calm it down and the ref has never had words with him I am probably more concious of all the 'ohhs' and 'thats too rough' comments from the sideline

Hi

Could not help smiling as I read your post. I have a 10 year old son and this is normal craic for a hurling match.

It can be quite funny, the mothers standing on the sideline, myself included when he was smaller.

My son took up rugby last year, closed my eyes a few times, it is so physical, but he absolutely loved it.

Dont think i have ever seen so many bruises.

Young lads love these games, and my son and his friends, have often sat in my kitchen comparing belts, cuts and bruises which they got in the course of a match. They realise its all part of it.

Let him be who he is and the best of luck to him for being talented!

Is hurling just a tough game? Should I get my son to step back a bit or will that take part of what makes him a good hurler away from him?

Toughness is part of the game. Importantly, though, don't ask to him to "step back a bit" as that could lead to injuries. Let the coaches and/or those who know about the game give him the advice.

Thanks for all the advice...

spot the over anxious mammy

My two lads, six and eight, play hurling and football. It's a bit of exercise, fresh air and fun for them. If they were lashing other kids out of it with their hurls I'd tell them to take it handy as it's only a bit of fun.