Question about The Anchorman

ney001

Had the displeasure of watching this film the other night - wtf! who in the hell finds this stuff funny?? (except you Ron! )

Am finding a serious lack of good films about at the moment - anyone any suggestions?

Haven't seen it but as a rule, in my book, anything with him or Adam Sandler in it is guaranteed to be crap and completely unfunny.

You're probably just getting old like me ney!

Conversely though, anything produced by Pathé has a reasonable chance of being good IMO - the comedies quirky and offbeat, the dramas thought provoking and... well...quirky also.

If I think of any particular titles I'll post but don't hold your breath!

'7 Pounds' is very good.
'Doubt' is OK, but ultimately disappointing.
'Duplicity' is muck. Watch 'Ocean 11' instead.
'Gran Torino' is good.
'Slumdog Millionaire' is excellent.
'Changeling' is also excellent.

Agreed, I usually do perk up when I see Pathe titles such as;

A River runs through it - actually only watched this the other night on Film 4
Wind that shakes the Barley!

Nuff said

Mind you the night wasn't all bad after I got over the horror of the Anchorman I put on Withnail and I which I hadn't seen for years - Legend!

'Gran Torino' is good. (have to disagree - thought this was so feckin predictable! )
'Slumdog Millionaire' is excellent. - Agreed
'Changeling' is also excellent. - Watchable at best
7 pounds - watchable
Haven't seen the other two!

Withnail and I

Possibly my favourite movie of all time!

Thought Gran Torino was OK - but I don't like Clint generally. Haven't seen the rest Pique mentioned.

Actually one trendbucking and excellent (IMO) Adam Sandler movie is Punch Drunk Love - very different to his usual stuff. A few years old now.

I've deliberately left DVD renting for a few months to let some new ones build up. Worth a visit now probably.

I believe I may even have the opportunity to see Ms Winslet naked in no less than two critically acclaimed movies if memory serves.

Watched "Overboard" on TCM, "Total Crinkly Movie" channell the other night, was very funny!!

I believe I may even have the opportunity to see Ms Winslet naked in no less than two critically acclaimed movies if memory serves.

Indeed but sure Ms Winslet would strip for a cup of tea!

Revolutionary Road - I enjoyed the book, film was pretty dire!
The Reader - I very much enjoyed this one!

I've seen Anchorman about fifteen times...but surprisingly enough didn't love it the first time, but its possibly one of the funniest films of all time - I think Will Ferrell is a god!

Not a fan of Adam Sandler or Ben Stiller (Sandlers not in it, but Stiller makes a brief cameo)...

Indeed but sure Ms Winslet would strip for a cup of tea!

I know - but the world's most attractive woman doesn't mind taking her clothes off? What a happy coincidence.

Seriously though, great actress anyway.

None of these are new but what about Sideways, Little Miss Sunshine - have you seen these for example?

I... www.imdb.com is a good site for getting film ratings.
Iffy at best IMHO, Some older fillums are well reviewed, but the newer ones are getting the "OMG, I'm like sooo blown-away!!!!! This has to be like only the most greatest movie EVER!!!!" treatment, leaving me feeling old, tired and depressed (I'm 23 next birthday, so that's understandable I guess).

The Reader is a very good film...well played by Ms Winslet (and 'Rafe', even though I'm not a fan, he fit the part well).

Sideways, is that the wine one? Could not get into it.
Little Miss Sunshine had good performances, but was a poor story and ultimately a poor film, IMO.

The local Chartbusters has a 'World Cinema' section (I presume they all do) which has some excellent films which Hollywood has tried and failed to copy/emulate. The Japanese horror are infinitely scarier than the US versions. Lots of good French, German & Spanish flicks too.
Well worth a go as they are cheaper than the mainstream ones to rent too, so long as you don't mind subtitles.

As it's Friday night, I shall leave with this quote.

"We want the finest wines available to humanity, and we want them here, and we want them now!"
Outstanding film!!! Has anyone done the college drinking game where you try to match them drink for drink while watching the film ? Warning!: It could get messy

No, never tried the by now legendary drinking game but often thought of it.

And then quickly changed my mind at the "a pair of pints and two quadruple whiskies" line.

Don't start me - does my freakin' head in.

Ralph Fiennes = Rafe Fine?!?!?!

I dunno ... I'm away to watch a gallic meditation on the human condition by John Luke Godderd

Oh and BTW try Sideways again you fool!

Okay

Sideways - never liked this film
Doubt - saw this over the weekend, agreed very disappointing.
Traitor - New release, action/thriller - was pretty watchable.
I love you man - new release comedy - first hour pretty funny, downhill after that!

OK, well two movies now out (or at least about to be) are Moon (atmospheric sci-fi drama/thriller directed by David Bowie's son - now known as Duncan Jones luckily for him) which is getting almost unanimously great reviews and Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds - which seems to be getting mixed-ish reviews, but generally positive.

Off to the cinema you go ney!

Had the displeasure of watching this film the other night - wtf! who in the hell finds this stuff funny?? (except you Ron! )

Am finding a serious lack of good films about at the moment - anyone any suggestions?

OK I'll admit to liking Anchorman. I find it funny. That's just my sense of humour. For the same reason, I thought Wedding Crashers was funny.

The last two films I watched were:
A Good Year (On DVD) - I thought it was very good.
Inglorious Basterds - Rubbish. Absolute tosh. Tarantino has lost his way completely and this proves it.

I liked Sideways also because it was different. Little Miss Sunshine was so quirky and the end is just brilliant.
Oh, and a big thumbs up for Whitnail. Fantastic from start to finish.

"Am finding a serious lack of good films about at the moment - anyone any suggestions?"

I have yet to see a comedy come close to 'The Jerk' - Steve Martin and his dog 'Shi*head' ..... hilarious!

"Am finding a serious lack of good films about at the moment - anyone any suggestions?"

I have yet to see a comedy come close to 'The Jerk' - Steve Martin and his dog 'Shi*head' ..... hilarious!

Very funny film!

Navin, it's your birthday, and it's time you knew. You're not our natural-born child.

Up there with Fletch!