Question about Sonos

Ruam

I have looked at the Sonos website and it looks very impressive to me when compared to the other systems available but I have one question.

You have to have one of the Zone players wired to the computer but is it possible to send an unamplified signal WiFi to a zone player in another part of the house? In this way you would have to purchase one less zone player?

Ruam

Hi Raum,
Not sure if I understand what you are talking about. If you are asking, can you use the pc as a zone, then no you cant.

The wifi the zoneplayers use is not standard, in that no other wifi device can talk to it using its wifi interface. Only a zoneplayer can talk to a zoneplayer if you know what I mean.

Have you looked at the differences between the ZP100 and the ZP80 ? The ZP80 is cheaper as it does not have an amplifier and you have to hook it up to your stereo or surround sound system, but to be honest I kinda think that defeats the purpose.

I would also say that you should look at using a NAS to sotre your music rather than a pc in the long term (its on my plan too, I am using pc at the moment, but am looking into getting a NAS instead).

Regards,
Eamon

Hi Wexfordman,

I am going to get ZP100 and speakers. They are not much more expensive than the ZP80s and then wont have to buy any amplifiers.

Is there anyway around having a zone player in the room with the computer via some sort of wireless router or does the ZP have to be hard wired to the computer?

Ruam

Ahh, now I get you.

There are a couple of options:

1) Your first zp does not have to be connected directly to your computer, it can do so through a router. So you could have pc in one room, router in another (or the same room), and first ZP in another. Ideally, you want your sonos connected to your BB as well so you can stream internet radio etc, so the router scenario is the best. You can run a cat5 cable from your pc room to your first zp anyway.

2) You can locate your ZP on top of your PC, and just run your speaker wire from there to the room your putting your speakers in.

3) You do not need to have all your music stored on a pc, you can store it on a nas instead.The NAS could be put next to your first ZP, but either way the ideal scenario is to have everything connected through a router.

4) There is a way to use a wireless bridge between you first sonos and your pc/network. If you look at the forums on the sonos website you will find it, although sonos do not "support" that set up.

Regards,
Eamon