Question about new floors

What type of floor will he be laying. There are different options here. My house is new (4yrs) and my upstairs floors are baically plywood which has to be covered anyway. Other options are a finished wooden floor, such as cherry wood or sinilar which can be laid onto the joists (i believe). This is an extremely good option if laid correctly. My friend has it done and it looks impressive. I would check with him exactly what he intends to do.

If he is laying proper floorboards and does a good job, you could just sand (lightly as they should be ok if new) and varnish them.

Towger

If they are proper floor boards then that's great (and cheap). Don't varnish them yourself. Get a floor finisher to sand(if necessary) and laquer them for you. Won't cost a fortune but well worth it. It is much better than varnishing, even with the Ronseal hard floor varnish.

On another note, it will be an ideal time to check out your pies and wiring under the old flooring and make any repairs or renew any you think is on the way out. Nothing worse than having to rip up your new floor in a year or two.

Back