Question about Home Renovation Incentive

House Fleece

Hi

Last year, we completed a major renovation of our house that cost in excess of €150k - so well over the upper limit of the HRI. We paid for all the work before the end of 2015 bar a small percentage that we held back as 6 month retention. This retention was paid in June this year.

We'd like to claim the HRI in our 2015 tax return but will be able to if we didn't fully complete the payment (because of the retention payment) until this year?

I may be incorrect here, but as the HRI must be completed by the contractor on an on-line basis. The contractor must be legit and the property must betax paid for LPT purposes. Surely if you have paid him the amount you have stated they will be able to complete the on line forms for you to receive the Tax Allowance in this current year.

Bear in mind there are many things you can't claim for under the scheme as well, architects fees, paint, tiles, white goods for example are all out of scope

As above plus I don't believe you can retro the online bit for 2015, its supposed to be done initially before the work starts so you could fall foul of that requirement.

You have to create the project on the revenue site before works commence. Your contractor then enters the amount received at each stage and you confirm it.

I think you may have missed the boat here if that hasn't been done.

I'm in the midst claiming for this grant going back to 2015 and 2014 as well. The contractors are doing their input for the Revenue. This scheme dates back to end 2013 and I do not believe the Revenue can chop and change what can be allowed or not.

The works can reviewed, inspected and witnessed. If the contractor is legit I see no reason for disallowing these Incentives.