Question about a US drivers license holder buying & driving a car here.

beffers

Hi

Does anyone know the situ regarding a US citizen being able to buy, tax and insure a car over here? They have a full US drivers license and an excellent driving record over there, but they do not have an Irish drivers license. Will that stop them from buying, taxing and insuring the car here?

They spend quite a bit of time in Ireland & are getting killed on the cost of car rentals. They want to buy a car, tax and insure it and leave it here for them to use when they are here. They are looking into getting an Irish license which would obviously simplify the process for them. However as that involves having to get a learners permit first, then taking 12 lessons and then waiting 6 months before taking the test, it will be at least a year before that happens. In the meantime, they just want to be able to buy a car and drive it legally here on their US license.

The RSA website says that non nationals can driver on a foreign license for up to a year before they must exchange it for an Irish one, but it doesn't say anything about the car tax and insurance situ. They plan on buying a 10 year old rust bucket for a couple of grand. Given its lack of value, they don't plan on taking out any insurance on the car other than the mandatory third party stuff that they are legally obliged to have if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any advice offered.

AFAIK there aren't any restrictions regarding the purchase and taxing of a car for foreign licence holders. The insurance may be a bit steep, especially due to the long periods the car will be left and the owner out of the country (although, how much detail your friend decides to go into with the insurer regarding usage patterns is up to them).

Regarding the use of a foreign licence to drive the car. I believe (and I may be wrong, but this was my interpretation from when I looked at this for myself a while a go) the 12 months grace period refers to a continuous residency so your friend should be fine.

Thanks for that. He is ok with taking a hit on the insurance cost if he doesn't have an Irish license, as he is hoping that he will also be able to save a few bob as he won't be taking out full comprehensive, fire & theft insurance. He will just get whatever the legal minimum is to protect other drivers in the event of an accident. The car that he is buying is only worth about 2,500 if even that. It's not worth spending a grand to insure it for itself alone. The location of the car overnight, or it being left unattended or undriven for long periods of time won't be the insurance companies problem if the car is stolen. That aspect of it is what makes comprehensive insurance policies as expensive as they are isn't it?

Btw, are you sure about him being able to get insurance? He told me he emailed an insurance company (didn't say which one) and was told he couldn't get it if he didn't have an Irish license. Hence his getting me involved.

You can only drive in Ireland on a US licence so long as you are classed as a 'tourist', so your friend will need to ensure their residency status is clear.

Some insurers will not cover a driver with a US licence, if they do, they will charge a premium for it. Also, driving record in the US will also not count here as they won't have the means to verify it. So chances are if an insurer will even take such a person on, it will be very expensive.

Best thing to do is call a few brokers and see what they have to say. The online quote engines will not cater for this situation.

Back