Query where radiators stopped working

Green

In the last two days certain downstairs radiators in our heating system (oil) stopped working. Others rads around the house and upstairs continue to work. Would anyone have any idea what the problem is and how might I go about fixing it. I did try and bleed the non working radiators but water only came out. Is it an airlock and how would I find out where it is located? Thanks

Could be the water circulating pump. check that it is running for a start

HI.
If you know where the pump is ( it should be very close to the boiler mounted on the pipe gowing into the bottom of the boiler ) When the boiler is running for a while put your hand on the pump ( CAREFUL IT COULD BE VERY HOT ) and it should be making a vibtating motion and a soft whirring sound . ie like a small electric motor.
w200

Could be the water circulating pump. check that it is running for a start

OP says upstairs rads are heating ok so it's hardly the pump.

@OP don't want to insult you but have you made sure that the rads that arn't heating are actually turned on at the radiator valves. Even if they are..... try turning them full on and see if they heat up.

We have back-boiler and the upstairs rads always heat up without pump , as heat rises .

Yobr ,remember when checking to see if your rads are actually turned on , it is :
Lefty = loosy .............righty = tighty

We have back-boiler and the upstairs rads always heat up without pump , as heat rises .

Yobr ,remember when checking to see if your rads are actually turned on , it is :

I think a back boiler system is a bit different. I think if the pump on my oil c.h. packed up I doubt I would get any heat in any radiator at all...least of all upstairs.

But I'm open to correction.

If the boiler is firing and the pump is not operating correctly then the ONLY place you are likely to get heat is upstairs.
w200

I checked and only have on/off switch and clock inside so presume I should check outside for this pump?

No insult at all...thanks for your help I will try that...again...would it help if I turned all rads off and on again?

So is that left to turn on and right to turn off?

If the boiler is firing and the pump is not operating correctly then the ONLY place you are likely to get heat is upstairs.
w200

Some rads working downstairs too...

w200

In my above post I was referring to the pump packing up completely however if it was partially working I take your point about heat rises and the upstairs rads would benefit first.

Anyway OP says only some of the downstairs rads are not heating up......
so think I would be looking elsewhere for the problem rather than the pump.

OP would it help if I turned all rads off and on again?

To narrow down the problem I'd split the upstairs and downstairs.

1. Turn off all rads upstairs, to do this is the same as turning off your kitchen tap. Clockwise is .....off.

2. Turn on full (anti clockwise) all downstairs rads.

and let us know the result. (I'm no expert by the way)

Some boilers are wired so that the boiler will not fire if the pump is not
running but this is not always the case.
Im no expert either by the way.

Have you bled the radiators?

If it's not air it could be dirt in the rads.

There is also a switch in the hot press that turns the pressure off and with our system we have to turn this so that the system is making a loud high pitched noise and then bleed the rads (turn the switch and bleed a rad individually, and turn back off switch until you are ready for next one ifkwim) you will need two people to do this. The pressure on this gauge should be at 1-1.5. This is our system now yours might be different.

Hi.
Did you ever track down the source of your problem ?. Just curious.
w200

have a problem like yours in a bungalow some rads work and some dont this system has not been used for around six months tried bleeding the rads but just got water anyone with any ideas why this happens