Query regarding legal expenses

J

josh

Hi

My wife had an accident a few years back and recently settled out of court. She was dreading going to court and said to the solicitor once her medical expenses etc were covered she would be happy. Solicitor phoned to say that the defendants were offering X. She received the cheque from their insurers and is now wondering does she get a seperate cheque for her expenses - medical expenses and she also had to pay the engineer a retainer. Anyone know the answer to this or how most solicitors work.

Hi Josh,

It depends on circumstances but you usually pay your medical expenses out of your own cheque wheras medical report fees are paid directly to the solicitor who then pays the doctors. Ask your solicitor what the arrangement was. Your solicitor may have claimed for the engineer's report so may have been paid for that. If so they will obviously pay it on to you if you have already paid for it. I assume that your wife has probably already paid for most of her medical bills?

Hi Kate

Many thanks for your reply. Yes the medical expenses etc she paid as she incurred them. She was under the impression that she would get a settlement cheque and then a seperate cheque for expenses that she had paid out.... We have no previous experience so not sure how solicitors / accounts work.

Hi Josh,

I don't do any PI work myself but had reason to be chatting about this with a colleague lately. She told me that the norm is for the claimant to pay medical expenses from their settlement cheque, but medical reports etc are usually paid separately to the solicitor because these are usually paid for through the solicitor's office.

In fairness, my understanding of it is that all of your medical expenses would have been listed and claimed for in the papers filed for your case, so your cheque would have included money for the medical expenses.

Hope your wife is ok now.

Kate.

Back