Query regarding Child Insurance

philcheetham

Hi there.

First of all thanks to those in advance.

I am in the process of setting up my own business / company. It will not be up and running for at least another 3-6months, as i am being extra extra careful not to get my fingers burnt (again).

Anyway, my company will be dealing with children aged 13 - 17 coming from abroad over to Ireland. They will be participating in certain activities which would be deemed, i guess, 'medium risk' - activities such as kayaking, hill walking, archery, obstacle courses etc. These will be fully organised and monitored by a qualified professional / teacher / instructor. My question is in relation to the insurance costs related to this. As a business, what sort of insurance / protection would I need to provide for these children? I have already dealt with their travel insurance - but I am yet to have concrete advice on child insurance in relation to activities etc.

Any help would be great.

Many thanks

Phil

You will need public & employee liability to start with. The insurance on a business like this could be prohititive - One claim, and your insurance could rocket.

I know insurance on paintball operations is outrageous. Please speak to an insurance broker and get this nailed down before doing anything.

If the activities are not classified as "high-risk" by the insurers, they should be covered by travel / holiday insurance, but may need to be listed specifically.

Another approach might be to found clubs with the children becoming temporary registered members and seek affiliation to national controlling bodies and avail of their club insurance rates.

Talk to a good insurance broker. You'll find one by talking to lots of insurance brokers.

It's not too clear if you will actually be the one arranging these events or if you will be just using the facilities of others and just acting like a coordinator for their trip? If you are just coordinating the trip would you be just like an adventure style travel agent for the younger agent?

Back