Query re. Ulster Bank & online banking

TarfHead

Not a customer but someone who owes me money (small amount) is. I asked her to send it to me (BOI) electronically & was told she would have to visit her branch to so.

Is this accurate ? Can Ulster Bank customers not register Payees using an online self-service option ? I'm with BOI and have been able to do this for about 10 years. And I assumed BOI's online offering to be behind those on offer from other banks.

Thank you

Of course she can. Go to payments then select make a payment then click on chose a payee then
pay someone new then enter your Iban details

Maybe like me their card reader thingy no longer works! I seldom use it as I wouldn't regularly be adding new payees but needed to do one recently and sure enough it wasn't working again, I'd say this is about the 3rd one I have had. I usually use online banking just on laptop but was able to go ahead and do the transfer on app without reader so depends I suppose how much of the system they use, I had the app downloaded but had never used it before for a transaction. Either way it is possible if you are a user of online banking.

Thank you for those replies. The other party in this matter is less tech 'literate' than she would ever admit.

Of course she can. Go to payments then select make a payment then click on chose a payee then
pay someone new then enter your Iban details
not so easy to set up a payee for the first time, you need their IBAN number, BIC number, payees bank and address, payees address and then they send you a code via your phone which you enter to verify, and also again enter your memorial data same as logging in. this is retained on the system for future payments, and then you can pay them, A bit of a mess on if it's a once off payment to a trader etc.

not so easy to set up a payee for the first time, you need their IBAN number, BIC number, payees bank and address, payees address and then they send you a code via your phone which you enter to verify, and also again enter your memorial data same as logging in. this is retained on the system for future payments, and then you can pay them, A bit of a mess on if it's a once off payment to a trader etc.
I didn't have to do most of this. All I needed was their IBAN and my card reader. It was very straightforward.

On the app you just need name and Iban. Takes less than a minute.

Did a transfer to a credit union last week.

Really? With Ulster Bank?

I'm very surprised, as you don't mention their card reader at all?

Totally incorrect. Payees bank and address. Payees address? You must be in 20th century still.

Totally incorrect. Payees bank and address. Payees address? You must be in 20th century still.
I can assure you I have just done it, we had to phone the payee 3 times to get the full information This was for the UK

I can assure you I have just done it, we had to phone the payee 3 times to get the full information This was for the UK
So, a completely different payment system, where new anti fraud measures have been put in place earlier this year.
It's not needed in Ireland. 'Confirmation of Payee' is unique to the UK payment systems.

what card reader?
Are you an Ulster Bank (ROI) customer, and a user of their Anytime Banking service?

As it happened I had to set up a new payee yesterday on UB, used laptop, needed card reader and thankfully most recent one was still working, followed all the reader/screen instructions and it set up fine, it was another Irish bank, got txt then when done from UB to advise that I had set up new payee. I was sure I was going to have problems but it went fine. I know the app procedure is slightly different though and definitely doesn't use the reader, it's more txts with numbers to input.

For most banks now there is a difference between using a computer (need card reader) and using an app on the mobile phone (you're assumed to be the only person who has that phone and they, or at least AIB, can figure out where you are from the phone's GPS). The app just requires name and IBAN. The computer requires all the other palaver.

Back