query re pension and prsi class A or D

wetday123@

I work in the public service and am considering retirement within the next year. I have about 35 years service altogether and most of this I paid Class A contributions for PRSI. Because of the Class A PRSI I will get an integrated pension - some from social welfare and some from the Department. In the early 80's I paid Class D PRSI for a period of about 6 weeks.
I'm just wondering if, because I paid that short period of Class D PRSI, would I be entitled to the option of a Class D pension which comes totally from the Department? I think I would prefer this as I would never have to deal with supplementary pension or any of that and as far as I know there isn't any difference between the two money wise.

Is there any advantage / disadvantage if I do have the choice of going with one or the other?

thanks

So:

-you worked in the 80s for six weeks in PS and paid class D, then resigned;
-then did something else for a while paying Class A in private sector;
-then you joined PS after 1995 and paid Class A ever since.

Is that right?

If you are saying that you were mistakenly paying Class A rather than Class D for 35 years then you may have a case. Still it would be very complicated to resolve.

However, if you legitimately have about 35 years in a Class A PRSI public sector pension scheme then you will not have the option of taking an uncoordinated (ie, Class D) pension, even though you had an earlier 6 weeks at class D.

Back