Query re car tax refund?

theod

I've just taxed my car for the year but now find the head gasket blown and radiator is leaking. If I scrap my car now do I get a refund of the tax?

yeah I'm pretty sure you do but ring motor tax office to find out procedure before you scrap - I scarapped a car and was raging I didn't know you could do this as could have gotten a few months tax back - didn't have relevant forms to backdate.

I've just taxed my car for the year but now find the head gasket blown and radiator is leaking. If I scrap my car now do I get a refund of the tax?

Doesn't matter whether the car is scrapped or not.

All you do is make a declaration that the car is "off the road" and you are entitled to a refund of the monies paid for the road license for the period covered that the car is now declared non public usage.

Depends on how long you've taxed it for. IIRC there has to be at least 6 months left on the tax...I had 5 months left when my car was written off but couldn't claim anything back.

Info re refunds on motor taken from here:

Refunds of motor tax

It is possible in certain circumstances, to claim a refund of motor tax. Your application for a refund, should be made directly to you local motor tax office, on http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/PublicationsDocuments/FileDownLoad,17194,en.pdf (Form RF120 (pdf)). Circumstances where you may claim a refund of motor tax include;

• The vehicle has been scrapped/destroyed or sent permanently out of the State,
  • The vehicle has been stolen and has not been recovered by the owner,
  • The vehicle has not been taken out or used in a public place at any time since the issue of the current disc,
  • The owner of the vehicle has ceased, because of illness, injury or other physical disability, to use the vehicle,
  • The owner of the vehicle has ceased, because of absence from the state for business or educational purposes, to use the vehicle,
  • The owner of the vehicle has ceased, because of service overseas with the Defence Forces, to use the vehicle.
Tax discs must be surrendered immediately as refunds are generally calculated from the first of the month following the surrender of the disc. A minimum of three unexpired whole calender months must be left on the disc when surrendered. Where a vehicle has been scrapped you will need a certificate of destruction issued by an End-of-Life Vehicle (ELV) Authorised Treatment Facility.

Back