Quality of engineered doors

laragh

Has anyone experience of engineered doors (white oak in my case)?
Is there a major difference in quality between different makes? 'Cause here seems to be fair differeces in the price?

Are they all chipboard type carcasses underneath the veneer?

Will they last and are they soundproof?

I dont have actual experience of them as I ended up buying solid white oak, but there is a brand "applications" that many different stores have and their doors are pine with a veneer of oak over them, think there is a 3 or 5 gurantee with them. dont forget that when buying doors you also need to price for frame, architrave and skirting- it will add to the price !

One of our "Applications" engineered doors got a heavy whack and the inside are now visible - looks like a foam. I was told its hard to get solid doors nowadays though?

My job includes sourcing doors by the thousand and my defination of an engineered door would echo the above comment ie deal construction with an Oak veneer. I have no problem with quality of an engineered door and would have no hesitation in recommending them although the applications brand can be expensive. You could try Murdock hardwoods in Newry, Noyeks or Dublin Door store (Carroll Joinery). All have similar engineered veneered doors ( with slight differances such as beading) at a similar price.

free speech said:
We bought Oak doors for a job we were doing from Noyacks and you would never know they were Veneer unless you cut them up.

These doors are better than solid oak doors in my opinion as they are less prone to warping.

Not necessarily better than solid Oak but certainly no more or less prone to warping.

Chipboard carcasses suggest to me taht you may be looking at a fire rated door with a flax or halspan core. These can be manufactured to spec direct from a number of joinerys . try Castle in waterford, essexford in carrickmacross, moffat thallon in belfast or casey in Baldoyle.

The quality of engineered door is excellent and will last but as with all timber they must get TLC.

Sound proofing is a complex problem and should be looked by an engineer/architect. In my experience the actual door is the least part of the problem. Your wall construction (including apertures such a s sockets and light switches will influence sound insulation as will your door frame. In the first instace you could try fitting brush seal available from farwood. This is more than sufficent in a domestic situation but in a more public area your may need an acousticc trapper bar fitted to the door

Toby said:
One of our "Applications" engineered doors got a heavy whack and the inside are now visible - looks like a foam. I was told its hard to get solid doors nowadays though?

Sorry to say but if any door door gets a heavy whack it will show the damage but i.m not sure what the foam interior is.

Finally a purely personal opinion. If i were buying doors for home i would get solid Oak doors. As Freespeech pointed out no one can tell the difference but when i,m sitting there with my pipe and slippers and intending to look at these doors for many years to come i'd like to bask in the knowledge of having the real mccoy fitted. Solid Oak doors are available made to measure from many joinerys country wide but they are expensive.

For value for money get the engineered doors, look after them ( they will take the day to day abuse kids can dish out) give them the occasional coat of varnish every few years and they will in return give you many years of trouble free opening and closing.