Quality Library Shelving

Ecca

I have recently bought a second hand Georgian house, which we plan to convert the ground floor into offices to locate our Solicitor business in. We have the usual high ceilings and we are finding it diffiucult to find the appropriate look for our library shelving. We are looking for high quality shelving for Law Books / Folders , display etc. Antiques might be an option perhaps?

There's a good shop called Greenwood Antiques on Clanbrassil St, Dublin that make custom furniture in the style you require.... they are used to making furniture for the style of house you have and would be able to advise on the style...
[broken link removed]

Alternatively check out furniture.ie for a list of custom cabinet makers...

Personnally I'd be surprised if you could find what you want in a retail shop... I think you'll end up getting it custom made for best results.

Cheers
Joe

edit: Towger, that's a great site you posted, they do seem to have lovely original stuff there alright...

Last edited by a moderator:
edit: Towger, that's a great site you posted, they do seem to have lovely original stuff there alright...

The only problem is they known how to charge!

Two years ago I got a guided tour around a couple of high quality furniture factories in Asia. The factory prices would make you sick, $130 for a small mahogany (eco friendly source!) writing table. You would not be surprised to see the same here for 2k+ euro.

Towger

Towger
I'm not at all surprised (that they charge a lot)!

I make furniture myself and I know imports are incredibly cheap... there are several reasons for this... costs are so much lower in 'less developed' economies... insurance, transport, labour, raw materials... they also don't have to comply with safety requirements in the EU... so they use machinery and techniques which are outlawed in the EU. Mainly though it's labour that's cheap..
The only problem though is that transport from Asia to Ireland is expensive... maybe 4,000 per container... this means that most furniture is flatpacked... otherwise transport works out more expensive than the furniture itself!

I understand when I hear people say Irish exports can't compete on a world stage... maybe high tech stuff but not manufacturing.... we are far too expensive.

The exception is custom made furniture, it has to be made in Ireland... and top companies which can demonstrate the quality of their work can charge what they like... and Oakline do seem to be doing high quality work... another top Irish company would be Higginbotham but again they charge a fair bit...

Thanks for the link, it's exactly the type of furniture I make and want to be making...

Cheers
Joe

The only problem though is that transport from Asia to Ireland is expensive... maybe 4,000 per container... this means that most furniture is flatpacked... otherwise transport works out more expensive than the furniture itself!

I had no real interest in buying anything and got talked into visiting the factories. I ended up getting VIP treatment. The cost of shipping was 1050 USD for a 40 container and about 200 less for a small container (20 foot?), to Dublin Port. It probability cost at least the same again to get it transported out of the Port. I _think_ that the Duty is 'Zero Rated' on imported furniture, but am not 100% sure. I tried the online EU duty calculator at the time. Most of the furniture they produced for the US market, big heavy stuff that would require a big house or hotel. I have a CD full of their products somewhere.

Towger