Quality 5 Star bargain in Prague

Z

z101

We are going to prague end of Jan. A lot of hotels there that call themselves 5 star are 3 at best that we have seen.
Any recommendations for good 5 star offering good value in Prague??.

Recently stayed in the Hilton Atrium. I got a good deal €96 per twin/double b & b per night on www.Otel.com Accommodation is a good standard & buffet breakfast has plenty of choice.

It's walking distance from the centre, about 15 -20mins.

Stayed in the Hoffmeister a couple of years ago - very nice but about 15-20 mins from city centre and beware hailing a cab on the street in Prague.

Roy

I stayed in the Hilton twice and would go back there, if in Prague again. The hotel did advise us, if using taxi's to ask taxi drivers for a price for the journey before getting into the car.........because they have been known to charge astronomical prices to unsuspecting tourists.

Beware of being ripped off everywhere in Prague ! The Hilton was a good deal & would heartily recommend it but the cost of drink & bar food was more expensive than here.

lived there 5 years and just moved home to ireland a few months ago.You do not get ripped off.you just stay away from people who liik dodgy (same as here in ireland)the hilton is a very good choice.i suggest NOT to book tours from an agent in the hotel.if you go into the main square in prague you will see bus stops with city tours.usually 10 euro p.p. i just called there this morning and a lot of snow has fallen so pack warm clothes.exchange rate has gone down a lot since summer.was 31kc- to 1euro but now 25kc-1 euro.

one thing I noticed wasn't what our idea for a five star hotel is not the standard that you would find in Prague. The travel agent warned us of that as well, she said not to expect something like the ritz here in Prague...not sure if that helps.
One thing is that public transport is fantastic in Prague and if your hotel is on a tram line, thats all that matters, trams run all night as well, who needs taxis??!!

Having visted Prague twice, I'd have to say that it's street traders, taxi's, bar staff and general population all try to rip you off.

I must say the Hilton was up to 5* grade. Tea & coffee supplied in rooms, slippers, dressing gowns & toiletries. The full whack for breakfast ie fresh fruit, cereals, bacon, sausage, egg, pancakes & pastries, plus cheese yoghurts meats etc.
Also has a swimming pool - albeit a tiny one - & a gym.
Couldn't fault the service either.